Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Modus Enterprise Vault, why?

Marc_van_Duuren
Level 4
Partner
Hi there,

Probably a stupid question, but why do I need to set the Enterprise Vault in Backup Mode before backup?
Because most of the time the backup is still running and in backup mode when in the morning employees already want to work, the question was asked why we need to set EV in backup mode.

Is this a requirement to backup? What's the danger if we backup in the normal mode? Can we backup in normal mode?
I hope one of you can give me some advice on this?

Thanx advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The main reason probably is to have ev server & database in a consistent state for backup and recovery. there is a whitepaper somewhere here on connect which explains it. Depending on your configuration (e.g. safety copies), the worst which could happen is that you lose e-mails when you need to restore your ev environment. cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The main reason probably is to have ev server & database in a consistent state for backup and recovery. there is a whitepaper somewhere here on connect which explains it. Depending on your configuration (e.g. safety copies), the worst which could happen is that you lose e-mails when you need to restore your ev environment. cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
Yes Michel is correct.  If you were to backup the system during archiving then sure it would back up.  However when you restored it, it'd be inconsistent you'd have files on disk that were not in the database and vice versa.

Mike