cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec and FSA - backups pulling archive files

MR
Level 2
Help,

Our backup exec 11d is pulling our archive files. We use FSA and archive mostly .pdf files and it does a great job of it. Problem is when backup exec passes over the placeholder it pulls the file back delaying our backup. We have thousands of placeholders on our file server and this has been causing our full backups to run 4+ days.

How do we stop backup exec 11d from pulling our archive files?

Thanks
Mark
3 REPLIES 3

TRALSH
Level 4
Employee
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287761

MR
Level 2
Thanks,

We've tried this. I've added beremote.exe to the registry and we've tested and it still pulled the file. We have a case open with Symantec and they can't seem to figure it out. They are looking at the Dtrace log now to see what .exe is pulling the file.

I've noticed in our other office that is running the same setup on their file server they have in addition to the beremote.exe they also have EVPlaceholderService.exe

There string looks like this

EVPlaceholderService.exe;beremote.exe

And they are not pulling the files from archive.

Does EVPlaceholderService.exe have to be in the string? We are in the process of testing this now but wanted to ask here anyway.

Mark

TRALSH
Level 4
Employee
You do not need EVPlaceholderService.exe in the list.
Dtrace the placeholder service to make sure it is beremote.exe.
My guess is it is not beremote; possibly a call initiated from the Media server instead.  If this is the case, you need to use the EVFSABackupmode.exe method from that Technote.