Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup mode for Index. bpstart_notify.bat

MaxPug
Level 3

Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP4
Netbackup 6.0 MP5

Trying to configure the bpstart_notify.bat and the bpsend_notify.bat to run and the start and the end of the job to place the Enterprise Vault indexes into backup mode. 
The command below work great and do place the indexes in backup mode.  I am not worried about the Vault Stores because we use Centera’s and replication between Data Centers.  Also the we do flat file backups for the SQL.  So the indexes is the are the only thing left.

Pre Command
powershell.exe -PSConsole "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" set-indexlocationbackupmode ServerName 'Site Archive'

Post Command
powershell.exe -PSConsole "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" clear-indexlocationbackupmode ServerName 'Site Archive'

The issue I am having is when I place the either the power shell command or another bat file that calls the power shell command in the bpstart_notify.bat Netbackup when the job is run does not place the indexes in backup mode.  The job runs and when it starts writing data to tape I check the indexes to see if they are in backup mode and they are not and yes I refresh.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Leon

Not scripting expert.

Example of script.
REM $Id: bpstart_notify.bat,v 1.2 2004/12/22 11:22:41 $
@REM ***************************************************************************
@REM * $VRTScprght: Copyright 1993 - 2007 Symantec Corporation, All Rights Reserved $ *
@REM ***************************************************************************
@REM ecpyrght
@REM
@REM bpstart_notify.bat
@REM
@REM   This script is called by NetBackup when bpbkar is started up on the client
@REM   to do a backup or archive.
@REM
@REM This script receives 6 parameters:
@REM   %1 = CLIENT_NAME
@REM   %2 = POLICY_NAME
@REM   %3 = SCHEDULE_NAME
@REM   %4 = SCHEDULE_TYPE, one of the following: FULL, INCR, CINC, UBAK, UARC
@REM   %5 = STATUS, always 0
@REM   %6 = RESULT_FILE
@REM  
@REM   The script must reside in in the same directory as the rest of the NetBackup
@REM   client binaries (install_path\netbackup\bin\bpstart_notify.bat). 
@REM   It must also be executable by the root user.
@REM   Should exit with 0 upon successful completion
@REM
@REM Naming conventions:
@REM   There are three different versions of names that the scripts can use. 
@REM   The start notify script may use one version and the end notify script may use
@REM   another, or they can both use the same version.
@REM 
@REM   Substitute "policy" with the NetBackup policy being used and "sched" with the
@REM   schedule name.  "bpstart" can be substituted with "bpend".
@REM   bpstart_notify.policy.sched.bat
@REM   bpstart_notify.policy.bat
@REM   bpstart_notify.bat 
@REM 
@REM Result files:
@REM   The result file names will be dependant on the script file names. 
@REM   Example:
@REM   Script name:                         Result file name:
@REM   bpstart_notify.policyA.schedB.bat    BPSTART_RES.policyA.schedB
@REM   bpstart_notify.policyB.bat           BPSTART_RES.policyB
@REM   bpend_notify.bat                     BPEND_RES
@REM     
@REM CAUTION: Writing anything to stdout or stderr will cause backup problems.
@REM          Output should be redirected to the results files.
@REM

@REM --------------------------------------------------------------------
@REM main script starts here
@REM This is a simple script that records what kind of backup will be done along
@REM with other relevent information (Client name, policy name, etc) and
@REM appends the information to the results file
@REM --------------------------------------------------------------------

powershell.exe -PSConsole "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\evshell.psc1" set-indexlocationbackupmode ServerName 'Site Archive'

4 REPLIES 4

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
"This script is called by NetBackup when bpbkar is started up on the client"

"It must also be executable by the root user."

Make sure whoever is running these scripts belongs to the pertinent EV role.   I have seen these scripts fail because of permissions issues.

The EV Admin Guide for 8.0 SP4 states:  To manage backup mode on vault stores, your user account must be assigned the storage administrator role.  To manage backup mode on index locations, your user account must be assigned the power administrator role.

If you need to add this user to these roles, right click on Directory Level in Vault Admin Console and go into Authorization Manager to add windows user to these roles.  They should also be a local administrator on the EV Server.

See Roles Based Administration page 24 of the Admin Guide.

Judy Glazier

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
"This script is called by NetBackup when bpbkar is started up on the client"

"It must also be executable by the root user."

Make sure whoever is running these scripts belongs to the pertinent EV role.   I have seen these scripts fail because of permissions issues.

The EV Admin Guide for 8.0 SP4 states:  To manage backup mode on vault stores, your user account must be assigned the storage administrator role.  To manage backup mode on index locations, your user account must be assigned the power administrator role.

If you need to add this user to these roles, right click on Directory Level in Vault Admin Console and go into Authorization Manager to add windows user to these roles.  They should also be a local administrator on the EV Server.

See Roles Based Administration page 24 of the Admin Guide.

Judy Glazier

MaxPug
Level 3

Thanks for the assistance and I understand what you are saying but the bpbkar runs as systems.  So how do you assign that to the role of Storage Administrators?  Or is there a way to assign the server or the job with Netbackup to use a specific login?

Thanks
Leon

MaxPug
Level 3
Ok... If figured what I was missing.  Everything I did was correct, but what I failed to do was the Netbackup Service on the client from System to a account that had permission to move the indexes in to backup mode.

Thanks for the help
Leon