cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup mode for SQL database backup

OldEmployee
Level 5

Maybe this is a simple question but do we need to enable backup mode on EV when backup is running on the SQL servers?

I understand this may not be needed as SQL databases also have transaction logs which doesnt need us to put EV in backup mode, but still would like to verify if that is the case.

10 REPLIES 10

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

besides backup (which, even when using transaction logshipping is always a good idea imho), you also need to have some maintenance plan on the SQL databases. Also for that, EV (at least the vault stores) need to be in backup mode.

See SQL Maintenance Plan for EV

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

I assume you are using VSS based backup and you can be restored point in time. If so you will not need to use backupmode.

I would still suggest using the backupmode.

I would backup the SQL and EV server either at the same time or close to another.

First you will not need to rollback to many transaction logs in case of a restore. Also you will not stress the system two times. And then you will use backup mode either ways.

Lets say it will not hurt you to use the backup mode, and there would be no changes that has to be rolled back so why not using it?

Btw Veritas is using backup mode too when they are backing up the EV databases with Backup Exec (API between EV and BE)

Thank you GertjanA. Yes we do have maintenance running on the databases and the Backup mode is enabled for that period.

Thank you CConsult.

We use EMC Networker Backup, which I think is a VSS based backup tool. Unfortunately, there was no backup implemented for EV and now the database size if about 1 PB. So its even more difficult.

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

the databases of Enterprise Vault are 1PB ????? including transaction logs?

Or do you mean the partitions?

Hi czie,

How many entries are in the Saveset, JournalArchive, and Watchfile tables within the Vault store database.  This seems like an incredibly large DB and may be due to some of the tables/index entries not being removed if not properly going in and out of backup mode.  The last two tables should be temporary and only contain a few million entries. 

Regards,

Patrick 

Sorry, small clarification, the EV databases is about 2 TB. I was referring to the partitions and index location databases not having a backup.

Thank you for the update.  That is still pretty large and I am wondering about those tables mentioned in my last post. 

Regards,

Patrick 

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

The databases are indeed large.

Can you tell us how big the log and database file locations are? Within SQL. Rightclick Database >> Files>>there should be rows with sizes.

I am assuming the backup did not work properly and the logs grew over time...

Databases are normally not that large.

Apologies for not clarifying. More clarification.

I have 3 SQL servers with 33 databases and the total of all those DB's on SQL is 2 TB.