Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup mode problem

Tumay
Level 4

Hello all,

EV version 10

I have a weird problem. I cannot get a backup of Enterprise vault for a couple of days. I found the problem, the problem is when backup tool or EVadmin try to set backup mode to index locations The server gives

"Unable to notify the Indexing service on the following computers: Reason General exception"

The server gives that error both getting the backup mode or taking out from the backup mode. 

I get the Dtrace of the following services,

EVIndexAdminService

EvIndexMoveTask

EVIndexQueryServer

EVIndexVerifyTask

EVIndexVolumeProccessor

IndexBroker

IndexServer

I have attached the error log that I found in Dtrace, And also I attached error screenshot, and also Monitor indexiing result after verifying the index.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tumay
Level 4

Hello all,

The answer came. this error is a bug on EV 10.0.0 and solution is SP1. 

Hope to help someone.

Thank yo all for your help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ok so couple of things
If you ping "archive", is it resolvable and does it ping the correct server?
If you ping "archive.balnak.intra", is it resolvable and also ping the correct server?
If you ping "balev", is it resolvable and also ping the correct server?

It sounds to me something like RPC Server Unavailable (usually because it can't resolve the names of the EV Servers correctly or cannot connect to them)

Do you see anything in the Application/System/Enterprise Vault logs through the Event Viewer when you attempt this?

Also what happens when you try and do this through Powershell scripts, does it give the same error?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Tumay
Level 4

Hello JesusWept3,

Thank you very much for yor answer. I have pinge3d all of that three. It successfully pinged. I also found an article about Backup Exec with enterprise vault. It says there should be only 1 EVTR.dll file in the EV installation directory but when I search the installation directory it shows me 4 different file. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TE...

I cannot choose the which one will stay and the other three renamed. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance

Tumay
Level 4

Can anyone answer my question?

Thanks in advance

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

If I am reading the Resolution section correctly, you should rename the EVTR.dll to .old on all other location other than the C:\program files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\ installation folder. It should be Program Files (x86) because you are running EV10.

Solution

1. Identify the correct version of EVRT.dll in the Enterprise Vault installation directory.  (open properties of this file and review file version under details TAB)

2. Search entire Enterprise Vault Server for EVRT.dll

3. For any other versions found in other locations check the file version and rename/remove EVRT.dll.  The only copy of EVRT.dll that should remain is the one in the Enterprise Vault installation directory (Default: C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault)

4. Run the backup again and confirm if issue is resolved.

If the issue still persists, following must be checked:

1. Ensure that the Remote Agent for Windows service on the Enterprise Vault server is running under Local System Account.

2. Open the Remote Agent Utility - go to Publishing tab and make sure it only contains entries for the Backup Exec media server.

Hope that helps.

Tumay
Level 4

Hello All,  

I know it's been a long time since I update the post. but I have face the probem again and EVRT.dll is not the answer this time. Index location 1 has the problem I obtain a dtrace of Index server and IndexBroker tasks and it gives me the below error;

3 10:02:01.388 [12424] (EVIndexAdminService) <12368> EV~E |Event ID: 40966 A program fault has raised an exception.|Exception: Failed Index Volume => Id: 21 Error: Indexing engine unreachable.|Diagnostic: |Type: System.Exception|Reference: An error occurred while invoking Void <NotifyIndexLocationBackupModeChange>b__0().|Error Context : Change index location backup mode to True for IndexRootPathEntryId 1A4C0AD06A2B93548B4E30C696ABB6D611810000archive |Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVIndexAdminService.exe" -EntryID:1C3AADAC9462F9B418DBE65AA2CD5AFCB1710000archive|Application Domain: EVIndexAdminService.exe|Process Id: 12424|Thread Id: 12368|Stack Trace:    at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Indexing.Admin.EVIndexAdminUtils.ThrowExceptionIfNeeded(String IndexVolumesXml)|   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Indexing.Admin.IndexAdminCOM.NotifyIVPForIndexVolumeAccessMode(String xmlIndexVolumeIDs, IndexingAccess accessMode)|   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Indexing.Admin.IndexAdminCOM.ChangeIndexLocationBackupModeInternal(String indexLocationEntryId, Boolean inBackMode, Boolean logEvent)|   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Indexing.Admin.EVIndexAdminUtils.InvokeHelper(Action act, String context, Boolean rethrow, Boolean shutdownCheck)

Thanks in advance.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I have personally never seen this issue before, have you opened a support case with Symantec?

Working for cloudficient.com

Tumay
Level 4

I open a support case. I will share the info when the issue resolved.

Tumay
Level 4

Hello all,

The answer came. this error is a bug on EV 10.0.0 and solution is SP1. 

Hope to help someone.

Thank yo all for your help.