cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec is not backing up Vault Stores and Index Locations

gafoorgk
Level 4

Hi All,

I got EV configured and working. I'm configuring a backup plan now. Got an issue with backup. See below what is done so far.

1. EV is installed and configured in a Windows Failover Cluster with 2 nodes. Everything is working fine.
  2. Configured automated scripts to set and clear EV Vault Stores and Indexing Locations in Backup Mode during backup window. Did make sure backup window is not overlapping archiving window.
  3. We're using VSA everywhere, for services, archiving, etc. VSA got local admin privileges in both nodes participating in WFC for EV.
  4. Added these 2 nodes in BackupExec 16 for VaultStore and Index backups. I used VSA account as logon account here. Adding these 2 nodes also added EV Cluster Role host name as well (FYI). Confirmed that VSA account has got all required access by testing the credential.
  5. While creating Backup job I could select EVStore (root folder for all Vault Stores) and EVIndexing (root folder for Indexing Locations). But BE wasn't letting me select individual folders inside these root folder though I could see the folders and files inside. But I see selecting EVStore or EVIndexing root folders do select child folders and files though they are grayed out and I can't change selection on those child items.
  6. I went ahead and saved Backup job and tried running the job. BE is backing up everything except sub-folders and files of above 2 root folders. I can't seem to figure out or find in net what's causing this issue.
  7. I tried initially backing up with EV site (Vault Store and Indexing Locations) in Backup Mode. When I couldn't find a solution for the issue, I tried backing up with Backup Mode cleared from Vault Store and Indexing Location. Nothing working so far

Please help if I am missing something. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi mate,

Try the following to disable BE EV agent on the EV server (both cluster nodes);

1. Stop BE Remote Agent service
2. Re-name "bedsev.dll" located under C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\
3. Start the BE Remote Agent for Windows service
4. EV Indexes and Vault Stores should be available for selection now

Let me know how it works.

--Virgil

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VirgilDobos

Hi mate,

Try the following to disable BE EV agent on the EV server (both cluster nodes);

1. Stop BE Remote Agent service
2. Re-name "bedsev.dll" located under C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\
3. Start the BE Remote Agent for Windows service
4. EV Indexes and Vault Stores should be available for selection now

Let me know how it works.

--Virgil

Working! ☺️. Thanks again Virgil. I believe I just did disable EV module of BE Windows Agent. Why did I have to do it? Is it a bug or by design itself?

VirgilDobos

Great! Not sure if it's a bug or not in BE, but if BE client detects that EV is installed on a server, it creates that file which prevents you from backing up EV using the standard Windows agent.

Please mark the post as a solution. Cheers.

--Virgil

Okay. Does that maen BE will still reset Archive bit on files once backed up?

If not, should I use trigger file mechanism as per EV documentation?

Thanks

Never mind of my last question

BE has got an option to change backup job mode to use Archive Bit instead of Changed Date (default). Used that, took a full backup of Enterprise Vault in sync (run script, backup db, backup store and index, run script). Archive bit got cleared from existing files. Ran archive task on one mailbox and those shortcut, which were archived before, changed the icon confirming it is Archived by Enterprise Vault.

Thanks for all help I got here. Smiley Happy