cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups after upgrade

APUSNetEng
Level 4

Hello again,

After upgrading Vault from 9.0.4 to 10.0.2 (v10 is on a new server, we used the server settings migration wizard), Backup Exec backups are not working.  It looks to me like the Vault device in Backup Exec is still trying to hit the old server for portions of the job.  Our SQL databases have not changed servers.  Backup Exec is 2012 SP3.

When I ran the job, it failed with the following:

Job ended: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 at 7:07:33 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Agent for Windows. The correct version of the Agent for Windows must be running on the target computer.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899

When trying to browse the selection list, I can browse part of it, but when I get to EVAULT > Vault Store Group > Vault Store > Vault Store DB, it sits at "loading" for 30 seconds or so, then fails with the attached error.

Additionally, when I look at the credentials section, I see credentials for all resources, as shown in the other attachment.  The second to last line, the part highlighted in blue, is our old server name.

I suspect the resource is still pointing to the original Vault server, but am not sure how to change/update it.  I have not yet deleted the entire Directory server resource as I'd like to keep my job catalogs and history, but if that will fix the issue, I'm willing to do so.

I've tried following the steps in this KB: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH205946 with no success.  I have support case 06340395 open, but am not making much progress yet.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

APUSNetEng
Level 4

Just an update, I deleted the Vault object (not the Vault server, as it displays as its own resource) from Backup Exec last night, and am not finding how to redetect my current Vault installation.  Support has suggested a few things, but I'm not at all confident in their answers (like deleting all instances of EVRT.dll except for one - that doesn't seem right at all).

I've also cross-posted this in the Backup Exec forum at https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backups-after-vault-upgrade

Thanks!

Manoj_Chanchawa
Level 3
Employee Accredited

To narrown down the issue and reconfirm, are you having any issues with your EV 10.0.2 environment post migration related to archiving, database access, or vault access or accessing objects in VAC? Second, did you check compatibility chart if your backup exec agent version is supported with EV 10.0.2? 

As I understand, high level you only have issues with Backup exec EV agent rather than EV envoronment as you said. Am i right? 

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi BrianInMD,

When you said "Backup Exec is still trying to hit the old server for portions of the job", you mean that the BE server is still seeing the old server? I am assuming that you BE agent is installed on the new EV server and all the required adjustments were made in the BE server.

When BE takes a backup of the EV server, EV generates a XML file called EVBackup.xml. This XML file is saved under the EV installation directory\Reports. Take a look at this file and verify if all the information is correct since this is the inforomation that EV sends to BE for the backup, If the information is correct, then you need to work in the BE agent and/or server side to determine what needs to be corrected.

I hope this helps.