cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best method to upgrade a version 9 install.

MattHorton
Level 2

Hello everyone, 

I'm hoping to get some input on an upgrade project that I'm working on. Here is the existing setup:

1. Enterprise Vault 9
    1. ~100 Exchange 2010 mailboxes being archived (right around 400GB of data).
    2. Running on server 2008 r2
    3. Local install of SQL server express 2005 for the backend

We have both EV 10 and EV 11 licenses available. We also have a new VM that we want to move the install to that is in a different physical location. In the end we’d like to be running on version 11, with a separate SQL server 2012 backend, on a fresh install of server 2008 R2.

I was planning to split the migration into two parts by upgrading from 9 to 10 with the migration assistant to move the archive server over to the new, permanent location. Then upgrading to version 10 in place after the dust settles. However, I can’t seem to confirm that I can move the SQL server location at the same time that I migrate from 9 to 10. I need to move the SQL backend to the new SQL server when I migrate because the existing server is using SQL server express which is not compatible with version 10. I’ve checked the compatibility chart, and the existing EV 9 is not supported with a SQL 2012 backend which is what my SQL server is running, otherwise I would migrate to the new SQL server first and move forward as planned.

I’ve considered doing a separate, clean install of version 11 on the new server, running both servers for a while, and just exporting / importing .pst files into the server (I realize this will be a slow process, but with only 100 users I don’t think this is a deal breaker). But I’d really like to do the move over a weekend and be done with it, and I can’t seem to find any documentation on how Exchange will react with two different servers checking for archives (I planned on setting up a new provision policy which will only archive those that have been migrated).

If anyone has any advice on how I should move forward I’d really appreciate it.

-Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

your initial thought and approach sounds pretty solid to me. you can combine the sql move and the EV9 to 10 upgrade. you can use the migration wizard to consolodate the server move and the upgrade to 10 in one process. then consider upgrading to 11 after the dust settles.

i was just thinking about it and you have a pretty small environment so your other idea which is to go with a fresh EV11 might not be that painful. you can use move archive so you dont have to bother with pst files. you wouldn't want both EV systems touching exchange at the same time though. you'd want to disable all archiving from EV9.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

your initial thought and approach sounds pretty solid to me. you can combine the sql move and the EV9 to 10 upgrade. you can use the migration wizard to consolodate the server move and the upgrade to 10 in one process. then consider upgrading to 11 after the dust settles.

i was just thinking about it and you have a pretty small environment so your other idea which is to go with a fresh EV11 might not be that painful. you can use move archive so you dont have to bother with pst files. you wouldn't want both EV systems touching exchange at the same time though. you'd want to disable all archiving from EV9.

MattHorton
Level 2

Thank you for the quick answer Andrew, I was just re-reading the migration tool documentation and realized that I missed the part about being able to change the SQL server information when importing. I think that's the way we're going to go, as it requires the least amount of effort. 

Thank you again,

-Matt