cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best path to upgrade EV 8.04 to 10.0

BitBucket
Level 4

I’m trying to find out what the best / easiest way for me is to upgrade from EV 8.04 to 10.0?

Right now, I have EV 8.04 running on a Windows Server 2003 x64 system on VMWare 4.  The Vault Store is on a NAS.

I’ve been reading various upgrade and migration documents from Symantec and have some questions as to what would be the best path for me.

Option 1 - All on a single server: 

- Upgrade EV 8.04 to 9.02 (or whatever is the latest version 9).

- Upgrade the OS from 2003 x64 to 2008 R2, then upgrade from EV 9.02 to 10.0.

Not sure if it’s even possible to upgrade the OS from 2003 x64 to 2008 R2 without causing major problems with EV.  Has anyone ever done this?

Option 2 - Migrate to a new server: 

- Upgrade EV 8.04 to 9.02 on the old box. 

- Install EV 9.02 on a new 2008 R2 box and perform a migration.

- Upgrade the new box from EV 9.02 to 10.0

Option 3 - Some other method I haven’t thought of:

Is there a way to upgrade / migrate direct from EV 8.04 to 10.0?

Is there some other method I haven’t thought of?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would vote for Option 2 and follow the steps to do a Data-Only Recovery from the Admin guide.

If it were me, that is how I would procede, I think option 3 would end up costing too much to use an vendor to do the migration.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would vote for Option 2 and follow the steps to do a Data-Only Recovery from the Admin guide.

If it were me, that is how I would procede, I think option 3 would end up costing too much to use an vendor to do the migration.

daliugrey_2
Level 3

going with option two, 

current environemtn is running 9.01 on Win2k3 SP2 x86 

Wd you recommend building a new server to run 10 on Win2k8 R2 SP1 then perform data recovery/migration? Any glaring issues thus far anyone has seen with version 10? 

Thanks 

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you definitely want R2 and EV10 recommended specs are 4 proc and 16gb ram.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

You could also use the Server Settings Migration Wizard, it's what it was developed for. You can do a migration (so same version of EV from 32bit to 64bit) or a migration/upgrade. Take a look through the docs http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42445   

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

So, there's no direct upgrade from 8.0.3 to EV 10?  It has to be ramped up to 9.0.2 to 10?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

that is correct