cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best procedure for changing item retention

Namby
Level 3
HI All,

I'm using EV 7.5 SP3 currently (upgrade to v8 imminent).

I have mail archival underway for special research related mailboxes that archives after 30 days and allows users to delete from their archive whilst their research is ongoing. Once the research finishes I want to archive all mail and have a retention policy that will retain all the items for a set period (5 years).

I can easily handle the policy change to archive all mailbox contents and set retention for 5 years but this would only apply to subsequently archived mail. is there anyway to force the new retention policy down over the old archived items? Or alternatively from experience what might be the simplest way to handle this scenario.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ian
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Easiest thing is to get to EV 8 and allow it to update the retention period based on the location of the item.

This will allow you to set folders in the mailbox with the retention you want and if archived items are added to those folders their retention will be updated.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Easiest thing is to get to EV 8 and allow it to update the retention period based on the location of the item.

This will allow you to set folders in the mailbox with the retention you want and if archived items are added to those folders their retention will be updated.

GertjanA
Hello Hans,

The only option I know of is to adjust the currently used retention policy. I do not know if this is a retention you apply to all users.

Example.
Retention 1 = indefinite (all users)
Retention 2 = 10 years (specific group of users)

Change retention 2 to be 5 years. This will also apply to older items. (because the retentioncategory is stored, not the actual value)

Not sure if this answers your question, and as alwyas, test!
Regards. Gertjan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Both options above are good suggestions. There is a request into Symantec to allow the applying new  policies retroactively but to date no action has been taken by Symantec.

Namby
Level 3
Thanks all. EV upgrade it is then.