cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidirectional Replication in an EV MAIL Exchange environment

mitcher
Level 4

Hi

We are setting up EV version 8 for Exchange 2007 on Virtual Machines using Win 2008 servers and Veritas Clustering.

For the SQL servers and hence the database we are using SQL Mirroring as the HA soltion in the architecture. As well we are using CENTERAs for Vault Stores.

The Symantec Enterprise Vault and EMC Centera best practices guide suggests that we can use bidirectional replication at the CENTERA level however our EMC engineer is a little uncertain.

Has anyone set this up this way and can anyone indicate if there are any issues to be wary of in such a configuration.

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

And the second I finished typing and hit Submit I found this one:

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h6790-symantec-enterprise-vault-centera-wp.pdf

Page 35 talks about bidirectional replication, which makes it clear that it is supported. ;)

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6

I don't think EV cares about that, however I did not find any documentation to proof that.

I suggest that you open a case with SYMC for this to be sure.

Would  be great if you let us know the outcome

Thanks & Cheers

Michel

MichelZ
Level 6

And the second I finished typing and hit Submit I found this one:

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h6790-symantec-enterprise-vault-centera-wp.pdf

Page 35 talks about bidirectional replication, which makes it clear that it is supported. ;)

Cheers

Michel

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Bidirectional on the Centera only gives you the ability for the Centeras to replicate data both ways on the Centera but in EV if it fails over from the source to the target it only allows read only access to the target and will not write without manual configuration on EV to change the target Centera to become the source and then you must add what was the source as the new target.

Having bidirectional replication has no benefits unless you are going to make this change manually.

We use single directional replication as part of our config

The users can read all their data but cant archive new files until the source centera is back online again. This config provides data integrity 

mitcher
Level 4

thanks i did log a support call and they confirmed it is supported

we have set it up in test and will test the DR scenario we believe it assists

Thanks