cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Shortcut Deletion

PMicken
Level 2

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help with Shortcut Deletion. I am running EV 8.0 sp2 and will shortly be updating to EV 9.01. I'm trying setup a policy for our new information lifecycle mgmt program. I am using EVPM to push 2 folders, Safe Harbor and Work In Process. These folders have a longer retention period then the default folders in the mailbox 1yr or longer. Mailbox policy is set to delete shortcuts after 90days. Does anyone have a way of blocking the deletion of the shortcuts in they Safe Harbor folder and Work In Progress folders. The whole purpose of thse folders is to keep certain information around longer. I'm trying to find a way to control the shorcut deletion on these folders.

6 REPLIES 6

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I don't think there's a way to do this.

However, you could enable Virtual Vault when you've upgraded to EV9. (9.01 is just the "early" client build, no server build. "Real" SP1 will not be available until about end of this year)

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

PMicken
Level 2

Thanks MichelZ, But what will Virtual Vault buy me?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if you're using exchange 2007 you could create a managed custom folder policy which has a different mailbox policy than the 90 day delete you have set for the default folders.

MichelZ
Level 6

Nice one Andrew, didn't think about that!

MichelZ
Level 6

In VirtualVault, all your archived e-mails just appear in the folders, as they were in a PST file.

So even if shortcuts are deleted, the user can "browse" trough his archived folder. Much like Archive Explorer, but integrated directly into Outlook.

PMicken
Level 2

That would solve all our issues, but managed customer folders would require an Exchange enterprise Cal for all of our clients. That would present us with a little over 100k price tag for the additional licensing. This may be an option farther down the line. Thanks.