cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block size for Index files and for Vault Store files

dc1975
Level 2

I am migrating my index and vault store locations from Equallogics to Nimble CS500 and want to create the performance policies on my Nimble volumes. I was wondering if someone might know the write block size for each the index files and vault store files as well as if I would benefit from turning on caching and/or compression.

My Nimble volume will be connecting to a Windows Server 2008 VM via iSCSI. We decided to go to an iSCSI connection rather than VMFS datastore because some of the volumes reach near 1TB of capacity, and also because we can control the performance policies more directly for EV performance with separate volumes than on residing on the volumes of the datastores. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The last recommendation I saw around block sizing was 4K.  I would NOT recommend enabling caching or compression for EV Indexes or storage partitions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What version of EV? Are your indexes all 64bit? in general, i wouldnt enable any compresssion for volumes with EV data. you wont gain anything with vault store partitions since it's already compressed and it would impact performance of your indexes.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The last recommendation I saw around block sizing was 4K.  I would NOT recommend enabling caching or compression for EV Indexes or storage partitions.

dc1975
Level 2

EV10.0.4. All indexes were upgraded to 64bit. Makes sense about not enabling compression. Thanks!