cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building separate EV environment from production to perform archived item restore

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi People,

I'd like to know what do I need to keep in the old EV 9 environment to make sure that I can restore the archived item from Exchange email archive and also the FSA archive after I migrated the Exchange 2007 and File Server archive into the new EV 10 environment ?

Old EV 9 environment:
Windows Server 2003 - EV 9 32 bit (Virtual Machine)
Windows Server 2003 - SQL 2005 32 bit (Virtual Machine)
3x Index - NTFS LUNs each 1 TB in size
19x Closed VaultStore Partitions of 0.5 ~ 1.5 TB in sizes - NTFS LUNs
1x Open VaultStore partitions - NTFS LUNs

because I'm currently planning to decommision / separate those old environment above in the production SAN by changing the IP address & VLAN and then importing those LUNS into the changed EV 9 and SQL server VMs in the new / separate VLAN.

New EV 10 environment:
Windows Server 2012 R2 - EV 10.0.4 CHF3 64 bit (Virtual Machine)
Windows Server 2012 R2 - SQL 2012 64 bit (Virtual Machine)
1x Index - NTFS LUN 1.5 TB in size
1x Closed VaultStore Partition of 3 TB in sizes - CIFS share
1x Open VaultStore Partition of 3 TB in sizes - CIFS share 

Is that possible ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Then you need all of this:

Old EV 9 environment:

When you log on to that EV server, you'll be able to use the Vault Admin console, perform searches, use Archive Explorer etc.. and access all the 'old' archived data.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If you're migrating them, and the data in to the new environment, then they'll be accessible -- or should be.

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks Rob,

So rather than decommisioning the oldEV 9, my plan is to keep the old EV 9 environment and put it into the separate environment.

Does this means that I do not need to provision or create replica of the Exchange Server and the File Server as well ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I don't understand why you're keeping the old EV 9 environment if you're importing the LUNS in to the new environment?

John_Santana
Level 6

Not importing it, my mistake.

I just need some idea of what to keep and what can be changed so that the old EV 9 environment can stand and operates by itself in separate environment so thatI can recall / restore using Archive Explorer from within the VM itself. This is just in case user ask to recover some old items.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Then you need all of this:

Old EV 9 environment:

When you log on to that EV server, you'll be able to use the Vault Admin console, perform searches, use Archive Explorer etc.. and access all the 'old' archived data.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello John,

I think you need to consider the following:

• A mailbox can be enabled for archiving for one EV server only. If you have an EV 9 and an EV 10 environment running in the same domain, you shouldn't have two EV servers from two different sites archiving/accessing the same Exchange servers.
  • Once you enabled the mailbox for archiving in the new environment, all the EV settings will be configured for the EV 10 environment, overriding the EV 9 settings (hidden message).
  • If you are using shortcuts, then user can access/restore those emails since the vault service account would still have access to the mailboxes (of course, I am assuming that you will use the same vault service account on both EV environments). However, if you migrate the mailboxes to a new Exchange server, restoring those old shortcuts will not work since the EV 9 server will try to access the mailboxes in the old Exchange server. In that case, you would need to add the new Exchange server to the old EV 9 environment.

My suggestion is to once the new EV 10 server is configured and mailboxes are provisioned and  synchronized, let the users know that they can still access Archive Explorer and EV search on the old EV 9 server for the archived data and then remove the old EV 9 shortcuts before archiving with the EV 10 server.

I hope this helps.

John_Santana
Level 6

Cool, thanks for the clarification Rob.

So I guess the archived email that is in the EV9 can still be accessible and exported to .PST as well as the archived file from Archive Explorer ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Gabe,

• Yes, the new EV 10 will be used to replace the existing EV 9 to archive the email to new VaultStore location once the EV9 migration has been completed. With the new EV10 server in place, the existing Exchange Server 2007 should be handled by EV10 instead of EV 9.
  • I assume that once I have executed the EV server migration wizard completely, the EV9 can be migrated its entriety to the new VLAN / separate location, so that when user request to restore some old items that was archived by EV9, I can do manual restore. is that correct ?
  • Yes I am using shortcuts for the archival method for the EV9. As for the EV10, my understanding is that new archive item and also EV Exchange mailbox journal will go to EV 10 as soon as it ready. while the old shortcuts of archived email by EV 9 can be done by restoring it manually from VAC / Archive explorer. 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

yes