cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA 8.0 - historical ad-hoc searches NOT possible?!?

Trojenz
Level 4
Partner
We have been journaling for 6 months and have now installed CA.  Having installed CA and created the appropriate departments, we find that we cannot run ad-hoc searches prior to the creation of the department in CA even though we have historical data in the journal archive reaching back 6 months.

Has anyone else run into this?  We have made committments to the compliance team that we could start capturing data while they worked out the details of the CA user synchronization and departments and they could preform reviews to satisfy the SEC back to the point we started journaling.

Is there any way to correct this? 

I am curious what Symantec tells customers who already have EV and are journaling when they try to upsell the CA product...."sorry but all the previous journaling you have been doing is worthless?" 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Ok, here is the deal, there is no department tagging before the time that the Journal Connector was installed so you when you do searches based on department you won't get results. 

You need to construct your search by selecting individuals and not departments.

That should get you some results.

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Trojenz
Level 4
Partner
Following the previous train of thought,

what do I need to tell my compliance team should they need to reconfigure or add a department?  Same thing?

What if we restructure, perform a merger or acquisition and the department structure changes?

TonySterling
What do you have set for Enterprise Vault V5 Installation Date and Enterprise Vault Oldest Archived Item Date in the System Configuration options?

Trojenz
Level 4
Partner
 The V5 install date is not set, but the oldest archived item date is set to 8/21/09  

At this point we can specify ad-hoc searches between the dates of 8/21/09 and current between the department and all other inbound/outbound (both internal and external - signified by the double arrow and the globe with the tree) but the search does not yield any result prior to 1/25....the date the department was created.

We have used the web based search to validate that items prior to 1/25 are available and searchable, but CA apparently ignores this data....

please help.

TonySterling
Ok, here is the deal, there is no department tagging before the time that the Journal Connector was installed so you when you do searches based on department you won't get results. 

You need to construct your search by selecting individuals and not departments.

That should get you some results.

Regards,

Trojenz
Level 4
Partner
 Tony, initial testing appears to be producing results prior to the creation date of the department.  

I will be informing the users of the workaround and have them do some additional testing.  

Thanks so much Tony.