cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating space used - usage page - Single Instance etc.

Slack
Level 4

Hi,

We have a requirement to export ALL of our EV 11 Exchange Mailbox data out to PSTs (don't ask, has to happen), so we need to know how big this will be.

I have the Vault Store Usage report. This shows (for example) 2TB of data.

The actual disk that holds the store is only 700GB, so what is being reported in the page is clearly bigger than what is actually used.

My question is, does the usage page calculate both compression and single instance storage?

If I export it all to PST today when the report says 2TB - will I end up with 2TB of PST data? Or, is anything (like single instance storage) not factored in to this, so we will end up with more data exported?

Thanks - James

8 REPLIES 8

Titoine31
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

It's not so easy to calculate the size after restoration, Veritas explain that the value in Usage Reporter is "The total size, after archiving, of all items stored in the archive" (https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH35741).

Have you an SSRS instance with some other EV reports ?

Just for information, if you must export many archive in PST file, you must know that in version 12.1 of EV you have powershell command for make it, that can help you to script these exports. For many clients I made the upgrade in version 12.1 only for use a script and automate the export.

Regard,

Antoine

patrickkuah
Level 6

Hi,

The size from Usage Report is not compressed. You may refer to the link below, there is a SQL query posted... you may use it to determined the actual size.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Enterprise-Vault/Need-a-SQL-script-to-determine-how-much-compressed-and/t...

For export to PST, i would suggest at least prepare twice the size of storage for this.

regards,

patrickkuah

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi mate,

Try this SQL query. It will give you both compressed and uncompressed (original) size of the data.

SELECT SUM(S.ItemSize)/1024 "Compressed Size (MB)",

SUM(SP.OriginalSize)/1024/1024 "Uncompressed Size (MB)"

FROM   VaultStoreDB.dbo.Saveset S

VaultStoreDB.dbo.SavesetProperty SP

WHERE  S.SavesetIdentity = SP.SavesetIdentity

Just replace the VaultStoreDB with the Vault Store Database name.

--Virgil

Hi Patrick

I have run that script as per below, it brings back data from each mailbox and their compressed and unompressed size.

The total of the uncompressed is not that different from the compressed size.

How does this take in to account single instrance storage?

If the below script gives me an uncompressed total - is that how much space I need to export everything? From previous posts, I fear not.

SELECT A.ArchiveName "Archive Name",
       SUM(S.ItemSize)/1024 "Compressed Size (MB)",
       SUM(SP.OriginalSize)/1024/1024 "Uncompressed Size (MB)"
FROM   EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Archive A,
       EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.Root R,
       EVVSYourVaultStore_1.dbo.ArchivePoint AP,
       EVVSYourVaultStore_1.dbo.Saveset S,
       EVVSYourVaultStore_1.dbo.SavesetProperty SP
WHERE  A.RootIdentity = R.RootIdentity
  AND  R.VaultEntryId = AP.ArchivePointId
  AND  AP.ArchivePointIdentity = S.ArchivePointIdentity
  AND  S.SavesetIdentity = SP.SavesetIdentity
GROUP BY A.ArchiveName
ORDER BY A.ArchiveName

Hi Virgil,

Same info as above. Gives a total size compressed and uncompressed - does this cater for Single Instance Storage?

Thanks - James

Hi Titoine31

I don't believe this environment has ever had SSRS, unless this is part of the standard install of SQL Server. Which I don't think it is.

Upgrading is not an option, though that would certainly be a nice feature to have.

Hi,

Nope. thre query does not cater for single instancing. There is another EV report SIS ratio, you may use the ratio for your calculation though....

patrickkuah

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi, try this one:

you need to change Vaultstore DB accordingly.

You can also order by any other criteria.

This shows you what data consumes how much compressed uncompressed and shows SISPartcount.

I normally export to csv to play arround with it.

SELECT TOP *
FROM [EnterpriseVaultDirectory].[dbo].[FileSpecification] INNER JOIN [VaultStoreDB].[dbo].[FileTypeSummary]
ON (FileSpecification.FileTypeIdentity =FileTypeSummary.Type)
ORDER BY LogicalCompressedSize desc