cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Enterprise Vault retrospectively compress & dedupe content after an upgrade?

richardjj
Level 3

We have recently performed an upgrade on our Enterprise Vault from an early version 7 to version 8 sp3.
I understand that the deduplication and compression algorithms have been optimised extensively in the new release and am wondering if there is any way we can restrospectively trawl our historical content (that take prior to the upgrade)  to enable us to make full use of these new algorithms.
I also understand the new version aligns files more tidily enabling native storage deduplication (in our case, NetApp SIS) to function more efficiently.
Any help or guidance appreciated!
Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

The answer in your case is no.... but there is a yes

You could upgrade to 8 SP4 and use Move Archive to move the arcvhives, during this move all data will be single instanced (De-duped) and if it can compress the items that were skipped it will do so.

Otherwise on v8 sp3 you are stuck with what you have.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

The answer in your case is no.... but there is a yes

You could upgrade to 8 SP4 and use Move Archive to move the arcvhives, during this move all data will be single instanced (De-duped) and if it can compress the items that were skipped it will do so.

Otherwise on v8 sp3 you are stuck with what you have.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Before going down the Move Archive route, it might be worth doing some analysis on your environment to see how much space you'll gain versus the effort involved to move things.

Are you just doing mailbox archiving?
Working for cloudficient.com

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Also remember the Move  Vault feature only works on Mailbox archives not file system archives so you can only dedup the mailboxes you archive not any files you archive 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
@Scanner01.

That's what I was heading towards Scanner001 :)

richardjj
Level 3
The SP4 option looks promising as we do only archive mail, not files.
As I understand it, the solution would mean the creation of a new Vault Store Group (with a fingerprint database) then over a period of time, migrate the Vault Stores/partitions into this new VSG.

Not sure how it works with licensing (Rob, you may have a better idea).  As I said before, we have migrated to 8.0SP3 but our maintenance has very recently lapsed.  Within the scope of a full version release, in this case, version 8, are we entitled to receive service packs and hotfixes?

Help appreciated guys.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Richard,

You move archives to a new store, not a store to a store. (just being picky here)
About the maintenance expiring, I think you're best bet is to call Customer Service. They should be able to tell you straight away.
Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sorry, I know just about zero about licensing.  As Gertjan mentioned you should contact Support.  That being said you can have as many vault stores, vault store groups and partitions as you like -- with regards to service packs, and maintenance lapse, then I don't know.

richardjj
Level 3
I've upgraded one of our EV servers to SP4 but am unable to find the "Move Archive" option mentioned earlier by Mohawk Martin.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should be looking?

Many thanks,
Richard

Maverik
Level 6
Hi RichardJJ,

I would recommend that you log a new post for the above so the new query is more visible to people.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I agree, new thread, but :

You should read the documentation on Move Archive before leaping in to using it, and you'll find the move option as follows :

Right click on Archives, and it's there :

richardjj
Level 3

Fear not, in this instance (and unusually), documention will be read and absorbed prior to any invasive work being done.

Many thanks for all your help.

Richard

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You're welcome.