cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I copy closed vault store partition without stopping EV

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

I'm running EV 9.0.4 and I'm in the midst of moving my vault store partitions from LUNs to CIFS shares.  It's going fine for the smaller partitions but I have some rather LARGE partitions waiting in the back of the line.  According to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35742, I'm supposed to stop all EV services before copying the data.

I was wondering if it would be ok to only put the vault store group in Read Only mode and leave the EV services running while copying the partition from old to new location.  I would obviously still stop EV before changing the partition root path in SQL.  I'm just trying to minimize the time EV is down b/c even with multithreaded robocopy, the copy of these two partitions is going to be substantial.

Let me know if what I'm suggesting is reasonable or not.

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It is ok to copy the File when you Vault store Group is in Backup Mode.In backup mode the users wont be able to delete archived items, restore archived items, but they can search and retrieve the archived item.

So you can move the partition with less Down time.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sortid
Level 6

I use robocopy to do an initial copy to the new location, keeping EV online and in write mode.  Once copied, I would stop EV services, to a final robocopy to get the deltas, change the partition location in the database then start services.  Exactly what you have described. Have done this many times.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It is ok to copy the File when you Vault store Group is in Backup Mode.In backup mode the users wont be able to delete archived items, restore archived items, but they can search and retrieve the archived item.

So you can move the partition with less Down time.

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Rho,

Yes , you can go head with your plan of action to move the large partition but make sure you don't take enterpise vault out of backupmode before completing all steps mentioned in the article.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

As per mentioned by A_J it is very necessary to keep EV in Backup mode and then copy other there is chances of data loss if anything write on the partition but it not copy on new location.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

@Rho do you need any more help on this issue?

Working for cloudficient.com