cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open attachments

Llwyd
Level 2

Hi,

I'm having problems opening attachments from archived emails in Outlook 2013 - recently archived emails are OK, but anything older than 2018 prompts for credentials, and after entering a valid username and password, the error message: 'Symantec Enterprise Vault - Error You do not have access to this vault.' is shown. The user has full access to the archive and mailbox and opening newer emails/attachments is OK. The problem started a few months ago and the EV version is 10.0.3.1090.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

So, what changed? Did users get a 2nd archive? Did you switch to use https in the shortcuts? Did users get a new ad account? any other change which might affect this?

One of the reasons is that a user tries accessing a shortcut which points to an archive he indeed has no permission to. From the top of my head, try the following (the general steps should be ok, you might need to click around a bit)

For a failing shortcut.

See this, instead of enabling tracing, click Vault Information. Ccopy everything, paste in notepad. Copy the ARCHIVEID. in EV Console, press CTRL+SHIFT, rightclick archives. Select Find archive. Paste archiveid. find.

Is that the archive you think it needs to be? Does the account have access?

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Prone2Typos
I have probably heard of hundreds of reports of being unable to open attachments, and all but one have actually been that nothing could open and the shortcuts were too verbose to care. Sounds to me like the shortcuts are to another archive where permissions are or have recently restricted the user from opening it. I cannot think of an instance where I was falsely reported a permission issue. To really find out, you need some client logging while double clicking on the item in the users mailbox . Linkie: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100030953.html Looking at the log you should see the URL when failing and it should produce an Archive ID. The easiest thing for me to do when I am doing this is not bother with the logging but select a sample item producing this issue and go into the settings that KB points you to, click Vault Info, save to clip board, selected item properties, and validate the archive, SSID, and everything there. If it works I try to use Advanced search to retrieve it. At this point I bet you reproduce the issue and have a clearer understanding of why it is.

GertjanA

Hello,

So, what changed? Did users get a 2nd archive? Did you switch to use https in the shortcuts? Did users get a new ad account? any other change which might affect this?

One of the reasons is that a user tries accessing a shortcut which points to an archive he indeed has no permission to. From the top of my head, try the following (the general steps should be ok, you might need to click around a bit)

For a failing shortcut.

See this, instead of enabling tracing, click Vault Information. Ccopy everything, paste in notepad. Copy the ARCHIVEID. in EV Console, press CTRL+SHIFT, rightclick archives. Select Find archive. Paste archiveid. find.

Is that the archive you think it needs to be? Does the account have access?

Regards. Gertjan

Llwyd
Level 2

Thanks for your help - it pointed me in the right direction - I looked at the Symantec Enterprise Vault event log on the server, and I could see that the file was located in a vault with a different name to the mailbox. I added permissions to that archive and the email/attachment can now be opened.

Many thanks!

GertjanA

Excellent, glad I could help. Can you mark the answer as 'solution'?

That might assist others experiencing similar issue.

Regards. Gertjan