cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can users search text in attachments on archived items? Does Outlook search archived items?

BruGuy
Level 6
Hello,

I have two questions on searching for messages which have attachments (.doc, .pdf) containing specific terms:
1. Is it possible to do such a search on archived items? I've got a default installation and can't find the option in the EV brower interface.
2. If I use Outlook's native "advanced search" feature, it doesn't appear to search archived items. Is that normal? Is there a workaround? (FYI we haven't enabled index generation on the Exchange server.)

Thanks,

- Alan.
8 REPLIES 8

Milouse
Level 4
Employee Accredited
Hi,

1- It is possible, use the Advanced search web page:

2- No index means no search can be done

Cheers,

//Sam

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Alan

1. Yes. If you click on the EV Search in Outlook, you got a "Advanced Search" on top right.
You can then select "Misc" and there you have "File Ending" or something like this.... (I'm sorry, I got German extensions and have translated the german words, don't know if they really are labeled like this :) )

2. This is correct, the native search does not include Archived Items. (Only the text in the Shortcut)

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

BruGuy
Level 6
Thanks but I'm getting a little confused!

1. If I type the http://VAULT_SITE_ALIAS/enterprisevault/search.asp?advanced URL then I get the kind of search that I want.

But if I click on the Search Archive button in Outlook, I can't find any way to get to that URL. Even if I click on "Advanced Find" or "Open Browser Search" there, it's still not the same. How can I make it the default search everywhere? Do I have to send that to everyone and tell them to save it as a favourite?

2. If the native Outlook search doesn't include an archive search, how are users supposed to find messages? Do they really have to search first in Outlook and then in EV? Our users won't really like that, especially as EV is so transparent to them.

Thanks,

- Alan.

MichelZ
Level 6
Alan

1. There is another option, you can modify the outlook Search that if a User clicks on "Browser Search" he will be transferred to this Advanced Search.

You can do this the following way:
Open up searcho2k.xsl (located in EnterpriseVault\WebApp\v7.5.1250\En   (EV2007 SP1) or just search for it...

Search for this term:
Searchurl = url + "search.asp";

And add an ?adcanved befinde search.asp like this:
Searchurl = url + "search.asp?advanced";

Just remember to edit the file when you update EV to a new Version.

2. This is correct.
Outlook does only search in the Placeholder data (depending on what you have configured, this could be the whole body text).

Cheers
Michel

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
It's not 100% clear to me what you are after
Do you want to just search on file extension (which is what you can do with browser search?)

BruGuy
Level 6
I want to be able to search on the content of DOC and PDF message attachments which have been archived, and I want that functionaility to appear by default under the Search Vault button in Outlook.

Also, I don't want users have to do two searches - one for messages which have been archived and another for messages which haven't been archived. What I'd like to see is the EV search both. Personally, I'm finding it hard to believe that it doesn't do that.

Hope that's clearer. Thanks.

MichelZ
Level 6
Alan

All searches in EV are conducted against Attachments (DOC, PDF), too.
This should not be of any issue.

And for the second question:
Outlook does not search EV and EV does not search Outlook.
How could they? Those are 2 different systems, each with it's own index.

Cheers
Michel

Sunny_G
Level 3
Partner
I believe you can now use Windows Desktop Search (WDS) to integrate the 2 disparate but integrated systems to accomplish this single search.