cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot archive from Outlook

Suresh_Vangara
Level 4
Dear All,

i am not able to archive from outlook. When i click on the archive button in outlook after selecting the email that i want to archive, i get the message " Cannot archive now, Enterprise Vault is not available, please try later".

David you are a STAR, i am sure you know the resolution.

Cheers

suresh k vangara
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Tell a lie, Paul did flag it as answered. Cool.

More stuff, the Intranet zone additions is covered in the Desktop bit of the Advanced policies.

Yes I should think it does make a big difference if you are not on a PC in a trusted windows site. This sounds like no fun at all to me. If it's not a scenario you will have in Live then don't try to get it working. EV can only ACL vaults in a Domain trust model. Authentication against the Exchange mailbox via Pass-Thru is not enough. To get EV working properly you must log in as the AD/NT user who has ACL permissions on the Vault.

David
http://messy.bravehost.com/

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Sureah,

some checks first:

Are all the EV services running on the EV server?

Is the web page up?

Did you set up DNS aliases for your servers and site? If so can you ping the EV server from the client using the aliases? Can you load the web page using them (rather than the servername FQDN?)

Can you view any vaults? Try Archive Explorer Make sure you have some permissions on the Vaults (assigned in the Admin Console) - these are Domain Account permissions not Outlook so you need to be logged on as the right account and not just have an Outlook profile pointing to the mailbox.

Let me know if all of these are OK and we'll look for other possible culprits.

David

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Assuming you can view an archived item from search.

Are you using Win2k sp1 on the ev server, are you using the lite client?

Suresh_Vangara
Level 4
hi david,

All the services are running, i have tried restarting the services, but no luck.

the webpage is up, though i have not browsed any features, i can see the default page.

We have to created both the aliases and they are fine, i am able to ping the aliases on the server and also from the client.

the archive explorer is ok. But when i search for something in the archive, I am not able to view items from the search results. when i click on any of the result items i get very long error message.

I am sure i have given all permissions. The service account has all the required permissions. will i have to give special permissions to the clients/users as well??? Users have default permissions at the moment.

All components are installed on one machine.

I have the following .....

Win2k3 server SP1
Exchange 2003 SP1
SQL 2000 SP3a
EV 6.0

I dont know what a lite client is !!!!

ideas ?????

regards

suresh k vangara

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Suresh,

Symantec has just announced that Windows 2003 server SP1 is supported with EV 6 and EV 5 SP5 but you might need a couple of rebbots after applying SP1.

Have you checked http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278336.htm?

Can you search in AE?

When you load AE what does it say down the bottom right corner of the IE window? (Should say "Local Intranet")

What is the "very long error message"

David

Suresh_Vangara
Level 4
hi david,

when i started installing my test lab, i dint know EV is not supported by win2k3 sp1. but now i am happy that it is.

I am able to search in AE, i was unable to open result "items" before, but know i am able to open them.

I am sure IE would say local intranet in the right corner. because i haveadded the "kvs site" in the local intranet zone in IE.

But strangly i am asked for authentication when i launch AE on a client. I tried AE on the server itself (Configured EV service account in outlook and installed EV client extensions) still the same, very funny.

I have configured windows integrated authenticaltion in IIS.
i read a thread in the forum that says this behaviour is normal when "forms based authentication is used" any idea what that means ?????

cheers
sureshMessage was edited by: suresh
Suresh Vangara

Suresh_Vangara
Level 4
david,

i some how fixed the archiving problem on the server.
but i still have the problem on clients. i have a feeling that the mailbox policy is not being propagated to the clients properly.

I made the pointer (reverse lookup) in dns point to EV DNS alias, thats how i am now able to archive from server. i have buttons visible on the server in outlook. but on the client i have one button visible and when i click on AE it opens in a seperate window, not in outlook itself. On the server though AE opens in outlook itself, this makes me feel that the policy has not propagated thru to the clients, what say u ?

one more thing ...... is it required that the clients be on the domain? cause i am now working a Xp Home client.

tc, suresh

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Suresh,

blimey we have a load of stuff here...

With EV 5 you want your EV web site to be in your Local Intranet zone. This enables AE to authenticate automatically. If you use Proxy servers then you should configure IE to bypass them for addresses in this zone. you used to be able to do this with desktopsettings.txt. This seems to have changed with EV 6.

Your best shout is to have a look in the Installing_and_Configuring.chm file (on the CD) for the bit called "Customizing security on the client computers".

If you only have one button on the client and you have installed the software then you have a different problem. check out http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=53114&tstart=0. Although that thread has not been marked as Answered, hopefully it helped Paul on the right path.

don't sweat the stuff about Forms based authentication. That's OWA methinks :)

David

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Tell a lie, Paul did flag it as answered. Cool.

More stuff, the Intranet zone additions is covered in the Desktop bit of the Advanced policies.

Yes I should think it does make a big difference if you are not on a PC in a trusted windows site. This sounds like no fun at all to me. If it's not a scenario you will have in Live then don't try to get it working. EV can only ACL vaults in a Domain trust model. Authentication against the Exchange mailbox via Pass-Thru is not enough. To get EV working properly you must log in as the AD/NT user who has ACL permissions on the Vault.

David