cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot enable Enterprise Vault in Outlook

dorlow615
Level 4

I work at a very large corporation.  Lately my department is in the process of being downsized so I'm being tossed between a lot of other departments that, maybe I'm not an expert in, but they're swamped so I'm trying to get the other departments caught up.

Right now, our Messaging department is way backed up.  Before yesterday, I never heard of this Symantec Enterprise Vault (They've been calling it Virtual vault.)  I figure before I can support other users with it, I need to at least get it working on my own work PC so I can play around with it.  Well, I downloaded it from a share and installed it on my pc.  When I open outlook, the plugin does not load.  When I launch Event Viewer, I get an error message.

Customization URI: file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/VSTA/Pipeline.v10.0/PipelineSegments.store

Exception: Exception reading manifest from file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Common%20Files/Microsoft%20Shared/VSTA/Pipeline.v10.0/PipelineSegments.store: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the plugin.  I found some articles about trying to find the "Warmup" key in the registry and deleting it.  I show this location in articles.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\PowerPoint\Addins\[YourAdd-in]\Warmup

This key doesn't exist in my registry.

I deleted this registry entry to try to get rid of anything being stored about the plugin.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\EnterpriseVault.DesktopUI

Also tried this...

1. Remove your existing plug-in (Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs)
  2. Open the Windows command line (Start -> Run).
  3. Run this command: rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache.
  4. Reinstalled app.

Still getting the same error as above.  Oh, and I uninstalled and reinstalled by right clicking the install file and selecting to run as administrator.  Still no luck.  I need to figure this out.  I need to be able to support thousands of users using this.  How can a plugin be so difficult to enable?  BTW, I've asked others in the department and this product is new so no one here has seen this error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So first you would need to make sure your mailbox has been enabled for archiving before the add-in will load. Virtual Vault is a client side component of EV, it allows end-users to see the contents of their archive similar to how a PST would look.

The errors you posted do not seem related to EV at all.

EV really isn't just something you can jump and a start supporting. Most of the time you will need access to the EV Admin Console and I would not recommend poking around in there without training.

You could start here:  https://techcenter.symantec.com/ecampus/enterprise?siteName=sena&courseNo=DP6002 to get your feet wet.

Also, here it this:

Enabling mailboxes for Exchange Server archiving 

Enabling mailboxes for Exchange Server archiving
HOWTO109204 | 2015-01-09
How To | CMS-XML

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So first you would need to make sure your mailbox has been enabled for archiving before the add-in will load. Virtual Vault is a client side component of EV, it allows end-users to see the contents of their archive similar to how a PST would look.

The errors you posted do not seem related to EV at all.

EV really isn't just something you can jump and a start supporting. Most of the time you will need access to the EV Admin Console and I would not recommend poking around in there without training.

You could start here:  https://techcenter.symantec.com/ecampus/enterprise?siteName=sena&courseNo=DP6002 to get your feet wet.

Also, here it this:

Enabling mailboxes for Exchange Server archiving 

Enabling mailboxes for Exchange Server archiving
HOWTO109204 | 2015-01-09
How To | CMS-XML