Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot enable any mailboxes

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

Hello,
I read past forum discussions on this matter but nothing seems to work.  I have a test lab running EV8, Exchange 2003, SQL 2005, and an XP client.  All of the services are running, and I am able to see the mailboxes and select them for enabling.  Once I try to enable them, I get a msg. box that states that it was unsuccessful.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rahul_Sharma1
Level 3
Employee Accredited

After you follow the above steps as identified by JesusWept2 you should be able to see the users for archiving.

If not, check two things:

1. User is not hidden from GAL.

2. Login to SQL server and run the following query:

Use EnterpriseVaultDirectory
Select * from ExchangeMailboxEntry
where MbxDisplayname = 'display name of the user in question'

Please let me know if you see any results for the user that you want to enable

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
sounds like permissions to me If you run the deployment scanner does it show everything as ok? If you log on to that EV server as the EVAdmin and log in to the System mailbox for that exchange server, does it log on without promptin for credentials? Does the provisioning task run without error? are there any events when you try to enable the user? are there any events other than that that might indicate any issues? What does a dtrace of the ArchiveTask say?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

I log onto both servers as administrator of the domain.  Should I log in as the Service account?

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

...by the way, I don't know how to do a dtrace :(

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

Also, when I'm on the EV server and I open Outlook, it does NOT prompt me for credentials.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
OK so i want you to do the following

1. RDP to the EV Server (such as evserver.mydomain.com)
2. Log in with the EV Admin account (also known as the VSA account)
3. Open up your Vault Admin Console and expand out Enterprise Vault Servers -> yourEVServer -> Tasks
4. Right click the Exchange task that hosts the user you are trying to to enable and go to Properties
6. On the properties page, go to the Settings tab and copy the name of the System Mailbox that it lists
7. Now go to Start -> Control Panel -> Mail and click the Show Profiles button
8. Ensure that "Prompt for profile to be used" radio is checked and then press Add
9. Type in a profile name such as "EV System Mailbox" and press Next
10. Follow the Outlook Mail Profile prompts through to the end, connecting to the affected Exchange Server and the system mailbox it uses
11. Once completed, open up outlook and select the EV System Mailbox profile you created

So the questions now are

1. On step 10 when you entered the System Mailbox name and the Exchange server name, did it go through ok?
     - Sometimes issues can occur when users have moved the EV System mailbox off of the exchange server they're targeting
     - i.e. you move "EV System Mailbox for ExchangeServer1" from ExchangeServer1 to ExchangeServer2

2. When you started the profile, did it prompt you for a username and password?
     - If it prompts for a username and password, regardless of whether it works after you've entered your credentials, this means that the Send As/Receive As permissions aren't set correctly.

Also if you look in the Event Viewer are you seeing any Errors when you attempt to enable the user?
is the Exchange task in a Running state or is it stopped / failed / paused etc?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Patrick_Kenevan
Level 4

As mentiond by JesusWept2 the best would be checking the event viewer and opening system mailbox while logged VSA. Can you also log on as Enterprise Vault service account, stop task controller service clear all MAPI profiles created by EVSA, start Task controller services and test archive enabling the user again.

Rahul_Sharma1
Level 3
Employee Accredited

After you follow the above steps as identified by JesusWept2 you should be able to see the users for archiving.

If not, check two things:

1. User is not hidden from GAL.

2. Login to SQL server and run the following query:

Use EnterpriseVaultDirectory
Select * from ExchangeMailboxEntry
where MbxDisplayname = 'display name of the user in question'

Please let me know if you see any results for the user that you want to enable

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

I've decided to rebuild my entire test environment.  Thanks for all the input and will refer to this if I still have trouble.

Thanks!