Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot "restore" archived domino mail from web interface

Matthew_Cowen
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

Quick question to see if I am missing something or have not done something correctly.

A client of mine has Domino 8.5.2 and EV10, recently installed.  Archiving works well as does NSF importing etc.  The policy used archives an email then leaves a shortcut in the notes interface for 1 yr.  If from the Notes interface I select the menu option restore the email is restored back into the users mailbox (on the Domino server).  This worls flawlessly.

If however I use the web interface to search an email that does or does not have a shortcut and try to restore using the button presented on the results page there is an error (sorry its in French) :

Essentially it says that the resturation process has happened but not completed and the email never shows up in the users mailbox.  Its still visible by using the search and can be manipulated as normal though.

I have asked for the IIS logs and also the logs from Event Viewer but last time I looked I could not find anything.

Do you have any ideas ?

Many thanks in advance.

Matthew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I'm not sure the event logs are going to give you much. To properly research this you will need a dtrace of nhttp, nserver, storageonlineopns, and w3wp. There are a few steps in the process when you restore for search.

1) If you get search results back then you probably have an ltpa token and are properly authenticated

to the Domino directory.

2) STorageonlineopns will pull the item from EV.

3) If storageonlineopns completes successfully then the nserver process will import the note into a temporary database on the EVDG. Usually EV_000xxxx.nsf.

4) From there it gets restored to the users mail.nsf.

That's the process at a high level of course there are many steps in between but try to narrow it down.

On another note is the user able to retrieve from the Enterprise Vault Search page.

I have another issue that I am working on where that doesn't work as well if User Preferences in Notes are set not to use the embedded browser in the client and if Enable Protected mode is selected in IE 8.

Changing either of these options resolves my issue. Thought I'd pass it on to you since my issue is very similar.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Matthew_Cowen
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Oops, here's the screenshot !

jim_leggett
Level 6

I'm not sure the event logs are going to give you much. To properly research this you will need a dtrace of nhttp, nserver, storageonlineopns, and w3wp. There are a few steps in the process when you restore for search.

1) If you get search results back then you probably have an ltpa token and are properly authenticated

to the Domino directory.

2) STorageonlineopns will pull the item from EV.

3) If storageonlineopns completes successfully then the nserver process will import the note into a temporary database on the EVDG. Usually EV_000xxxx.nsf.

4) From there it gets restored to the users mail.nsf.

That's the process at a high level of course there are many steps in between but try to narrow it down.

On another note is the user able to retrieve from the Enterprise Vault Search page.

I have another issue that I am working on where that doesn't work as well if User Preferences in Notes are set not to use the embedded browser in the client and if Enable Protected mode is selected in IE 8.

Changing either of these options resolves my issue. Thought I'd pass it on to you since my issue is very similar.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey Jim,

Didn't EV 10 change the way that worked?  I didn't think it was being restored to the EVDG anymore.

Tony

jim_leggett
Level 6

We still restore from the vault to the EVDG but then it restores from the EVDG to the users mailfile in order to view the document in the context of the user's mail file.