cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot reinstall EV Outlook add-in

Elliot_G
Level 4

I have for a few weeks been successfully using Outlook 2010 with the first release of the http Outlook client add-in to access Enterprise Vault 9.0. (I am not sure if this was version 9.0.1 or a pre-release). Because my job involves supporting a wide range of users, I decided to try the latest version (9.0.2). I had a few problems with this and decided to go back to 9.0.1. So I uninstalled 9.0.2 (from the Control Panel) and tried to install 9.0.1. This just refuses to work. Opening the msi  gives a window which says it is going to upgrade the client, even though there should be nothing there to upgrade. And although it very quickly (far too quickly) reports a successful install, nothing has happened. The EV Tab in Outlook does not appear, nor does the programme appear in the Control Panel list. No fiels appear to be getting written. I have tried the following to get it to work - a reboot, removing the EV folder from the program files folder, even reinstalling Outlook. It still seems to believe that is is doing an update, even though there is nothing to update. I even had someone else logon to my workstation (as a administrator) to see if there was a problem with my profile. No joy.

Trying to go back to 9.0.2 gave an identical non-result.

So what do I have to do to get the system into a state from which it will allow a real installation to take place?  There must be something that I can remove but I cannot find it. I note that the Windows application log reports each time a successful installation. Except nothing gets installed!

I really need the functionality so eventually I could be forced into rebuilding the whole system, but I certainly don't want to do that!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So seeing as this is your machine, we can be a bit destructive on it :)

What I can see in the MSI log is this :

MSI (c) (20:FC) [17:14:10:208]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding OLDPRODUCTS property. Its value is '{7322AE82-54A0-4181-AF70-0085B8EE3DCB}'.
MSI (c) (20:FC) [17:14:10:208]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MIGRATE property. Its value is '{7322AE82-54A0-4181-AF70-0085B8EE3DCB}'.

So for "some reason" we think that that is an upgrade.  You could try manually removing the "old product" using :-

msiexec /x {7322AE82-54A0-4181-AF70-0085B8EE3DCB}

See if that helps?

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Try generating and posting an MSI log :

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/enterprise-vault-outlook-client-installer-logging

It's likely that you might need to manually run an msiexec to remove a package that the installer thinks is present.

Elliot_G
Level 4

I have attached the log. Hope it means something to you!! (renamed to msilog.txt to allow attaching)

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So seeing as this is your machine, we can be a bit destructive on it :)

What I can see in the MSI log is this :

MSI (c) (20:FC) [17:14:10:208]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding OLDPRODUCTS property. Its value is '{7322AE82-54A0-4181-AF70-0085B8EE3DCB}'.
MSI (c) (20:FC) [17:14:10:208]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MIGRATE property. Its value is '{7322AE82-54A0-4181-AF70-0085B8EE3DCB}'.

So for "some reason" we think that that is an upgrade.  You could try manually removing the "old product" using :-

msiexec /x {7322AE82-54A0-4181-AF70-0085B8EE3DCB}

See if that helps?

Elliot_G
Level 4

It sure did!  And did not break anything!!

Thanks a million.

Elliot

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Glad to help ...  if you can keep an eye your installs/reinstalls/deinstalls etc that would be handy.  You're not the only person that has gotten in to this situatio, but, we've not been able to work out HOW.  If we could, in the future, work that out, then we can maybe modify the installer to take care of things.