cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see 'Schedule' tab in EV Archiving Tasks

jonbenak
Level 3

We added an add'l EV vault server awhile back (all are 9.02 with Exch2010 and a couple Exch2003), and successfully opened the new vault stores and redirected all of our journaling tasks to the new server.  However, I had to create a new journaling target/task for a new Exchange server, I discovered that the 'schedule' tab was not showing up on any of the tasks.  

The site level properties sheet has a 'schedule' task, but there doesn't seem to be an option to override an individual task's schedule.  Is this something that I've misconfigured in EV on the new server?  

Journal archiving is working just fine AFAIK.  All mail is being journaled to this single new EV server.  Journaled MBs are being continuously accessed and mail ingested.  This just seems odd and I'd like to regain control of my task scheduling power.  I searched and didn't find anything, so I'm posting here.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can refer to a post I did a while back for someone that wanted to do something similar

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/archiving-frequency-journaled-items#comment-5385211

Create two bat files like so:

"c:\program files\enterprise vault\EVService.exe" start SERVER1 "Exchange Journaling Task for Server1"

and another to stop

"c:\program files\enterprise vault\EVService.exe" stop SERVER1 "Exchange Journaling Task for Server1"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling

So a journal task doesn't have a schedule tab, it runs all the time.  Are you sure you aren't thinking about a mailbox archiving task.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what you're seeing is correct. the journal archiving task doesnt have a schedule.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

if you *really* want to schedule your Journal Task, you can create a stop and start batch file that calls EVService from the command line that stops and starts the task and then use windows scheduler, but that would really kind of defeat the purpose of journaling.

As Andy and Tony have pointed out, Journaling checks the journal mailbox every 60 seconds when running

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

jonbenak
Level 3

All three of you have sparked a memory in me WRT these tasks.  The reason we ran them on a scheduled basis is that they are for a set of remote Exchange sites that are connected via WAN circuits back to our central data center where our main Exchange/EV infrastructure resides.  We needed to preserve bandwidth until after-hours.  Our primary central journaling runs in that normal continuous mode.  I think we actually had those BAT files set up on the original journaling server, but we had to build a new server for journaling and I recreated the tasks on that one.  I'll bet that our documentation didn't have that so I neglected to recreate those jobs.  I'll check the other server and our config docs, but if you can point me to a KB or other post that I can use it would be VERY helpful.  Thanks!

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i dont think there's really nothing official to it. if you stop the Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service (as simple as net stop EnterpriseVaultTaskControllerService...) then the journal task wont run. so your have 2 batch files, one to stop at whatever time you need to, one to start at whatever time you need to.

TonySterling

You can refer to a post I did a while back for someone that wanted to do something similar

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/archiving-frequency-journaled-items#comment-5385211

Create two bat files like so:

"c:\program files\enterprise vault\EVService.exe" start SERVER1 "Exchange Journaling Task for Server1"

and another to stop

"c:\program files\enterprise vault\EVService.exe" stop SERVER1 "Exchange Journaling Task for Server1"

jonbenak
Level 3

Thanks to Tony and the rest!  That's exactly the solution that we had implemented on the old journaling server.  I checked the Task Scheduler on the old server and found all of the stop/start jobs that we had running.  Now all I need to do is get them created on the new journaling server.  

Much appreciated!