cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centera Collections\Staging

twyd2009
Level 4
Hello - I understand that enabling Cenetra collections requires local disk to stage the collections.  I have been having a tough time finding documentation that details how this storage should be sized.  Can anyone offer any insight to this process??

TIA!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maverik
Level 6

The below is taken from the Whitepaper "

Implementing Enterprise Vault with EMCCentera – Understanding Vault Stores and Retention Classes

"The collection partition should be sized large enough to accommodate for several days build up should the Centera become unavailable due to hardware/software issues."

So estimate how much mail you will be archiving and times this by seven.  Only has to be rough esitmate  ;)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
The Size of the storage for the staging of the Collections does not need to be vast.

In my environment I have them on the same drive as my Indexes just in a different directory. Depending on what you are archiving i see no need for the space to be more that a GB. I have never seen my collections grow to more than a 200MB.

The only reason why this would grow is that if there was an issue writing to the centera because once the collection reaches 100 files or 10MB at that point it is sent to Centera to be stored.

Maverik
Level 6

The below is taken from the Whitepaper "

Implementing Enterprise Vault with EMCCentera – Understanding Vault Stores and Retention Classes

"The collection partition should be sized large enough to accommodate for several days build up should the Centera become unavailable due to hardware/software issues."

So estimate how much mail you will be archiving and times this by seven.  Only has to be rough esitmate  ;)

twyd2009
Level 4
thanks for the help, guys.  Is there a link to that whitepaper??  I couldnt find it.

I have another question regarding the Centera.  I am working on a solution where we'll be migrating 1TB worth of journaled mail data to Centera stroage, and then enabling mailbox archiving.  I understand that our storage footprint should theoretically never be larger than our journaled mail, as mailbox/journalling have the same retention periods and should be single instanced (using same Centera pool).

I was considering creating 2 separate vault stores/partitions, but does it makes sense to create separate vault stores/partitions for these tasks??  Is there any performance issues surrounding using a single Centera partition?? 

Maverik
Level 6
I cannot understand why the other post was marked as the solution! Unless a Gb is several days email, and every company has the same amount of data archived over several days. The information I supplied wa direct from a whitepaper. I have posted this to try and ensure others asking the same question realize this. The reason to allow for several days worth is to build in some fault tolerance if there is any issue with collections.