cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centera Migration - Size of Vault

Chris_Bamforth
Level 4
Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help as this has got me stumped.

We are currently using the NTFS to Centera Migrator tool to move everything to the new Centera.  When we started, our Vault was about 450GB.

I have set up the Centera partition to use shared items and collections, and I'm about half way through migration.  The pool usage according to the Centera is now 830GB and rising very quickly.

Is this normal, and if not what on earth is it doing?  I configured the pool at 2TB but I don't even think there will be enough room to finish the migration.  We weren't using compression of any sort on the NTFS partition so I am really struggling to solve this one.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Just so we are clear.  Where are you seeing something say the archive is 450gb and 800gb ?
For example, are you looking on the NTFS disk, or in the usage.asp web page for example?

Chris_Bamforth
Level 4
Thanks for your reply.

The NTFS volume reports 338GB used, and the Vault Usage Page reports total size of items at 412,237 MB and 3,404,299 items,

The Centera when I do a show pool detail now reports used capacity of 820GB and 2514064 files.

I've been adding the jobs on a year by year basis and the number of savesets in the log files suggests I'm just under half way there. 

What have I done so wrong?

Chris_Bamforth
Level 4
Pool usage now stands at 1.4TB and still a very long way to go.  I'm very much assuming I have done something very wrong here.  For info, we're running v7.1.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It might be good for you to ping EMC and ask them why it is growing so wildly.

eric_eng
Level 3
Partner
I'm assuming you have 2 centeras for replication since you can not back them up.  Are you looking at total pool usage for both centeras?

Greg_T
Level 2
Hi Chris

Apologies for the slight hijack of your thread here, but I am about to go through the exact same process.

We have 4TB of data to import <shudder> from NTFS into Centera.

What sort of import speeds are you seeing into the Centera? I'd be interested to hear as I fear our import is going to take weeks.....

Best,
Greg

Scott_H_2
Level 3
I would yield to a "bigger brain" like Tony, but typical perfromance with NTFS to Centera migration is ~ 2GB/hr. There are many variables, but the biggest one is the number of access nodes on the Centera.

I'm sure you are aware that you that the archive is available while you are migrating.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
With a 20 node G3 Centera and an EV 7 server that has 2 dual 2.8 GHZ processors, 4 GB RAM that is dedicated to the migration I think you could see close to 9 GB/Hour.  Of course if you are journaling and mailbox archiving that number can drop.  There are also other varibles that come in to play as well, so treat these as ballpark numbers.  ;)

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Also remember that the centera's communicate over your network, so if your bandwidth is fubar'd, you'll see less performance.  It's the weakest link theory. :)

micah

Greg_T
Level 2
Thanks for the responses. I need to check the spec of the Centera we have ordered; server spec can be altered, but I think we'll be okay! Bandwidth will be Gigabit.

Chris, I'd love to know what sort of metrics you're getting?

Best,
Greg