cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Storage Expiry Setting in Archive Properties

MASIV
Level 4
is there an option for a script to set/clear the setting for "delete expired items from this archive automatically" on individual archive properties (advanced tab)?

I have a list of people who have unlimited retention for items stored in EV.  I have a provisioning group set and the provisioning task identifies them correctly, but I have had a few instances where the storage expiration task has deleted items it should not have. 

So I am clearing the checkbox for each user in the archive properties, advanced tab, for the storage expiry option to ensure that nothing in their archive gets deleted.  I don't trust the provisioning rules to apply properly and cannot chance these people losing data.

I would love to see this as a powershell option.

Can this be set via EVPM?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
retention policies are retroactive if you enable update retention categories in the policy, but again, thats not enabled by default
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Masiv,

This should not be necessary.  If the Retention Category is set to forever then expiry will not delete items.  Additionally on the site settings you can disable the expiry service schedule and/or put it into report mode.  ALL of these options are better choices than modifying each archive.

However if you really want to do this:

It is possible to do this via SQL query.    WARNING! If you do not know what you are doing you can corrupt Enterprise Vault!

ALWAYS take EV completely offline and perform a full backup of ALL SQL databases prior to any modification.

The setting you are looking for is in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory/dbo.archive table

Column is DeleteExpiredItems

Set it to 0 to disable

Regards
Joe

JesusWept3
Level 6
be careful with this because earlier versions of EV (i think anything before EV8 SP3) too many archives with that option disabled will cause tasks and such to run out of memory

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Agreed avoid doing this your policies should prevent this from happening if items were deleted there may be another policy that allows it assigned to the users or you have bigger issues

MASIV
Level 4
I would like to agree with you.  I have the group of people set correctly with the provisioning group.  The first run of the expiry caused a large number of files to be deleted.  I ran the setup by a few different Enterprise Vault techs and they all agreed that everything was set properly and had no idea why the items would be deleted.

For clarification, originally we had no retention policy.  Everything was set for no deletion.

A few months ago I was tasked with creating two groups:  a 2 year retention group (the default) and an unlimited group (set by provisioning policy)

By default the exchange organization has the 2 year retention setting.  An active directory group controls who is part of the unlimited group.  The provisioning report shows the assignments correctly.  The unlimited group is assigned in the top level provisioning group.  All mailboxes not part of the unlimited group are assigned the 2 year policy by default; the lower level provisioning group.

After the first run at expiry deleted so much data, I have zero faith in the policies in EV to be implemented correctly.

I was setting the Storage Expiry setting manually to ensure that nothing will be deleted from their archives.  This affects about 200 people.

JesusWept3
Level 6
well the thing is when you move users from say the 2 year group to the unlimited group, it isn't retroactive, it will only give the new retention to items going forward unless you have the update retention categories set properly in the archiving policy, which by default is turned off

Also it sounds like expiry was maybe done based on Modified Date instead of archived date?
Modified date means that it will expire items based on the Sent date of the email, where as archived date is when EV archived the item

So for instance if i receieved an email on 01/01/2005 and archived it 01/01/2009
Based on modified date and a 2 year retention, that email would be valid to delete on 01/01/2007, and if i ran expiry now, the item would be deleted
Based on archived date and a 2 year retention, that email would be valid to delete on 01/01/2011, and if i ran expiry now, the item would not be deleted

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Policies are not retroactive if you apply them today they only take effect today anything archived prior to today will not be affected by the new policy only the old one

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Sounds like the issue was that you expected them to be retroactive. The policies are working but they don't work they way you expected them to. This is a feature we have requested to be added to the product but it is not  simple process to implement and i'm sure it will take DEV time to make this happen if it happens at all

JesusWept3
Level 6
retention policies are retroactive if you enable update retention categories in the policy, but again, thats not enabled by default

MASIV
Level 4
The update retention categories option was set and I let the system run for about a month to give it time to update all the archives.  I waited until this option was available before making the changes to our policies.  I even went over the setup with an EV engineer before pulling the trigger.

The setting for based on archive date vs. modified date should not matter if the policy is set to not delete any items.

I guess my question now is, what number of archives set with the the Storage Expiry option off would cause the problems mentioned by JesusWept2?  Would 200 be above that number?  I havent' noticed any problems with the system so far, so I am hoping all will be well.

I appreciate all of the input.  That is one thing I really like about EV, the support is great both here and with the support engineers.  I wish BE had the same quality support.  The forum support is good, but man, trying to talk to someone from suport is very frustrating.

Thanks,
Chris