cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change retention category on archived items

gc_richard
Level 3
I have multiple offices who are now requesting for different retention policies due to new compliance rules When I first setup EV, the default retention category was applied to all users and configured to keep items forever. Due to the compliance changes, I have created new retention categories, but I understand it only applies to new items. what are the options to change the retention category for the items that are archived under the default (forever) category, besides exporting to PST and re-importing to the archives? My EV is version 12.2 thank you
5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Going from 1 to multiple retention policies, and going to different periods of retention has always been a pain. IMHO, your best option would be a tool called Classify, from Globanet (globanet.com)

There is a cost, but that does not come near what the cost would be in exporting/importing imho.

If you're in the UK/Europe region, contact Adept-tec (adept-tec.com/) who resell this.

Regards. Gertjan

VirgilDobos

Hi Richard,

Another option would be to modify the existing Retention Category (currently set to "Forever"). This way all the items under the retention category will get the new retention period. This would be your best option if you need the same retention for all users under a specific Retention Category.

The challenge comes if you want to apply different retention for users/groups part a single Retention Category - in that case, the option suggested by Gertjan may be the best way to go.

--Virgil

thank you GertjanA, this is a great help. I'll check with them if they have any reseller in Asia.

@VirgilDobos wrote:

Hi Richard,

Another option would be to modify the existing Retention Category (currently set to "Forever"). This way all the items under the retention category will get the new retention period. This would be your best option if you need the same retention for all users under a specific Retention Category.

The challenge comes if you want to apply different retention for users/groups part a single Retention Category - in that case, the option suggested by Gertjan may be the best way to go.

thanks Virgil, our company have different retention periods for the different countries (local compliance laws), shortest is 1 year, longest is forever (HR), so I can't modify the default policy. do you know if there are any official workaround or solution from Veritas?

VirgilDobos

There is no other workaround as far as I know. You may have to use the option suggested by Gertjan.

--Virgil