cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change retention category

ashks2014
Level 5

We use EVPM to set a retention category on a particular Outlook folder. If we amend the category from 3 years to 2 years does that new retention setting apply to existing items that have been archived? Or is it only on new items?

I'm assuming we can do this and don't need to create a new retention category and assign that.

The archived items are also shortcutted so if they are expired how do we delete the stubs that are left?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you modify the existing retention category, it will apply to both already archived emails and the new ones. If you create a new retention category, it will only affect the newly archived emails, so better modify the existing one.

The shortcuts will also be deleted as part of storage expiry. I know there was an issue in older EV version, but I believe it was fixed in newer version. See: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000039567

--Virgil

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you modify the existing retention category, it will apply to both already archived emails and the new ones. If you create a new retention category, it will only affect the newly archived emails, so better modify the existing one.

The shortcuts will also be deleted as part of storage expiry. I know there was an issue in older EV version, but I believe it was fixed in newer version. See: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000039567

--Virgil

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

it looks like Virgil did a good job answering your 2 questions that modifying a retention category is will effect retroactively and that EV has a built-in process for cleaning up orphaned shortcuts but you need to enable and configure it.

if you are still having problems, there are some 3rd party tools and scrips which can help remediate. let us know if you need further advice.

Thanks guys, at the moment we haven't activated the cleanup orphaned shortcuts option but will likely do so if we go ahead and change the retention category. Appreciate the replies