cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Permissions on Archived Files

barrymcnally
Level 3

Hi there,

Recently on one of our fileservers a user moved a folder from an area that only selected users had access to an area that the permissions are less prohibitive. The archived documents are Internet Explorer shortcuts. But when users other than users that have permission to original folder path try and open they get prompted for a username and password box.

Is there anyway via a utility to change the permissions of the archived documents? Any unarchived documents  in the same folder that have been moved open no problem.

If there isn't a way of changing the permissions in the archive the only way I can see to resolve is to bring the archived documents back via the FSAUtility then running archive again. 

This is a last resort as the contractor who set it up only set archive points up against the share so there are no archive points for each sub folder and therefore I will need to bring the entire share back. Is there a quick way within EV of seeing how much data has been archived as I will proobably have to increase the size of the drive to accomodate the pullback of data.

cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
One thing you could do is copy the folder back to its original location then use fsautility to restore items where only shortcuts exist Only issue is that may only work for reparse point shortcuts and not .url shortcuts As for how much to restore if that fails you Can use fsautility and use the -r to run in report mode and view the report to see exactly how much it would restore
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
One thing you could do is copy the folder back to its original location then use fsautility to restore items where only shortcuts exist Only issue is that may only work for reparse point shortcuts and not .url shortcuts As for how much to restore if that fails you Can use fsautility and use the -r to run in report mode and view the report to see exactly how much it would restore
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146