Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarity on Move Archive

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I have a customer that is going to be migrating users between 2 EV sites on a Campus Network

This customer has an Exchange 2003 environment for there users and then a new Exchange 2010 environment which all users will eventually be migrated to .They also have an old EV site in the 2003 environment and a new EV site in the 2010 environment. At the moment there are only a small number of users on  Exchange 2010 ,30 or so , but I am now investigating the easiest way to migrate all EV archives to the new EV Site

I want to position TransVault for this but I need to first motivate why Move Archive won't be effective for a large migration

Each user has 2 mailboxes ,one 2003 and one in 2010 .The users only have one active mailbox that they access to  in Outlook ,so the 30 users currently on 2010 access the mailbox in 2010 and there mailboxes in 2003 are just there to forward email to the 2010 environment

What I  want to achieve with Move Archive is that the old EV archives get migrated to the new EV Site and 2010 but the shortcuts get updated .I noticed that Move Archives warns me that since there are 2 separate mailboxes this won't happen .Does this now mean there would be duplicate shortcuts once the Move Archive has migrated the old Archive  ?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
It depends on easiest bs cheapest Transvault is obviously a separate product and requires it's own servers, when we looked in to it they wanted us to have a 1:1 ratio between EV servers and transvaults servers, which with a large environment like ours was unfeasible We currently use movearfhive doing about 1,400 archives a week The best excuse not to use it I suppose is the documentation says it's not meant for large scale migrations You could reach out to Andrew B who consults with transvaults or to Michelz or Wayne Humphrey from glasshouse who do the archive shuttle
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys

An update ,I misread the screen .It said the Source Archive wouldn't't be updated .This is fine and makes sense .I'll keep this post open for the interim as I may have additional questions :)

JesusWept3
Level 6
It depends on easiest bs cheapest Transvault is obviously a separate product and requires it's own servers, when we looked in to it they wanted us to have a 1:1 ratio between EV servers and transvaults servers, which with a large environment like ours was unfeasible We currently use movearfhive doing about 1,400 archives a week The best excuse not to use it I suppose is the documentation says it's not meant for large scale migrations You could reach out to Andrew B who consults with transvaults or to Michelz or Wayne Humphrey from glasshouse who do the archive shuttle

Andrew_Clare
Level 3
Partner

Hi JesusWept2,

The statement about needing a 1:1 ratio for TransVault servers to EV servers is completely untrue, and has never been the case.  A single TransVault server can migrate between multiple source servers and target servers.

I'll let others comment on the suitability of move archive for large projects.

Andrew

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

You don't actually mention how many archives you need to move - how large is "large" in this instance (number of archives/size of archives e.t.c)?

-Karl

JesusWept3
Level 6

That was actually a statement from a project manager and a lead developer from the UK for transvault, maybe it was just based on our particular project but they recommended the 1:1 ratio

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

good question by karlw. i was wondering the same thing myself. bruce, i'd be happy to have a conversation with you about this like JW suggested.

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys

Thanks for the informative responses

What is interesting is that I was told by Symantec that Move Archive isn't designed for large migrations .Of course the question is what is considered " large "  .As Jesuswept mentioned he is already moving more mailboxes weekly than what Symantec would suggest

I am of the opinion that TransVault is the better option in this customers environment ,they have about  4500 archives and about 12 TB of data ( EV has been installed a long time )

We are a new TV partner in South Africa but in this customer case I need to motivate them buying TV ,the issues I am experiencing with Move Archive are the following (maybe people can comment )

• The Move Archive migration fails when it comes to a item it can't move .Is there a way I can say " skip items that won't migrate "  (I can't seem to find this in the Move Archive Whitepaper )
  • Due to the fact it runs as a process on the active Mailbox archiving server I have  to schedule the   Mailbox Archiving `and the actual Archive Move to different times or the load is too much on the server
  • Then the actual Chain of Custody ,if I have an item that fails all I see is Item ID ,this makes it difficult to now see what items weren't archived ,especially if there are hundreds .Even EVOM doesn't show easily what failed

I see TV as being able to address these shortfalls with Move Archive ,but I would appreciate any  other input

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

Any comments on the above points ( which are  :) )

• The Move Archive migration fails when it comes to a item it can't move .Is there a way I can say " skip items that won't migrate "  (I can't seem to find this in the Move Archive Whitepaper )
  • Due to the fact it runs as a process on the active Mailbox archiving server I have  to schedule the   Mailbox Archiving `and the actual Archive Move to different times or the load is too much on the server
  •  Then the actual Chain of Custody ,if I have an item that fails all I see is Item ID ,this makes it difficult to now see what items weren't archived ,especially if there are hundreds .Even EVOM doesn't show easily what failed

Thx

AndrewB

Hi Bruce, I can tell you that Transvault addresses all those concerns. You can't avoid some overhead on the source and destination due to reads and writes but the migration processing runs on a separate server(s).

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Andrew ,I appreciate the feedback

AndrewB

Hi Bruce, is there any follow up information I can help provide to make your project successful?