Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clever way to Upgrade to EV 12 sp1

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I have an upgrade this weekend from EV 11sp1 ch5 to EV 12 sp 1

I have 12 servers I need to upgrade and I want to avoid the unlikely reality of installing the new binaries on all 12 servers and then the Start-EVDatabaseUpgrade process fails and we have to rollback

One of the trusted members on this forum, JesusWept, mentioned  a clever strategy to avoid this. You 

• stop the services on all EV servers
  • install the EV 12 binaries on one  Server 
  • then run Start-EVDatabaseUpgrade and only once all databases are sucessfully upgraded then install the binaries on other servers

This avoids the outcome of having to remove and reinstall all binaries on the 12 servers if the upgrade fails 

Is this still an approach that should work? Technically it seems sound?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Bruce,

That's the way I perform upgrades on my 16 servers also.. Ever since the upgradedatabase tool was available (i.e. removed the need to upgrade the VS using the storage service) I follow this route.

I know you know, but to be sure: DO MAKE BACKUP OF THE DATABASES BEFORE UPGRADE!!!

I believe with 12.1 you can use a commandline to deploy it, which would make life even easier if upgrading the first server and the databases succeeded!

\Veritas Enterprise Vault\Server\x64\
Run setup (x64).exe as follows:"setup (x64).exe" /s

See also installing and configuring guide, section 'installing EV'
That has more options on the switches that can be used.

Also, first goto 12.1, then to 12.1.2

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Bruce,

That's the way I perform upgrades on my 16 servers also.. Ever since the upgradedatabase tool was available (i.e. removed the need to upgrade the VS using the storage service) I follow this route.

I know you know, but to be sure: DO MAKE BACKUP OF THE DATABASES BEFORE UPGRADE!!!

I believe with 12.1 you can use a commandline to deploy it, which would make life even easier if upgrading the first server and the databases succeeded!

\Veritas Enterprise Vault\Server\x64\
Run setup (x64).exe as follows:"setup (x64).exe" /s

See also installing and configuring guide, section 'installing EV'
That has more options on the switches that can be used.

Also, first goto 12.1, then to 12.1.2

Regards. Gertjan

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Gert, I'll follow that route and ensure backups are successful :)