cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client-Driven PST Migration / Retain Folder Structure?

scj6771
Level 3

Enterprise Vault 10.0

If I choose the client-driven PST migration, will the users PST folder structure stay intact? This is critical for us as I have been asked that the structure stay the same.

If not, where do all the user's PST emails go inside Outlook after they are archived?

If I create and use a PST migration task and enable a client-driven migration, can the user still work in his or her email? Do the PST files have to be “disconnected” from the mailbox? What will it look like on their end?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CFreeX
Level 4

Yes, Answer is mention in doc below. Page 9 has a screenshots of the end user's Outlook (Before and After migration)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/white-paper-v80-pst-migration-part-2-tools-depth

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CFreeX
Level 4

Yes, Answer is mention in doc below. Page 9 has a screenshots of the end user's Outlook (Before and After migration)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/white-paper-v80-pst-migration-part-2-tools-depth

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When you arhive a PST , the folder structure remains the same and you can view that via archvie explorer.. 

At the end of the PSt migration the PST can be deleted from the outlook or it can leave a shortcut in the PSt but it depends upond the setting you have the in the PST migration policy .

With client Driven migraton users can be let their PSt be Open , but for server dirven migration the PST has to be disconnected .

scj6771
Level 3

Thanks guys, those were the answers I was looking for, one last, what do you mean when you say "leave a shortcut in the PSt"? I can see in our PST policy that we do not, but again I do not know what that means.

scj6771
Level 3

Have to backup from my last statement, I just finished a client-driven PST migration and the folders did NOT show up in his email, he had to open the archive explorer to view them? Thats NOT what I am looking for. I need these folder to stay inside a users email without them having to click on archive explorer.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You might have the option to delete the PSt set the in policy . You will find this setting in the Post migration Tab of the PSt Migration policy . You will also see a Tab called shortcut creation whre in you can specify if you want to create short for the archived item.. by default it is set to NO 

scj6771
Level 3

Sounds good, I also see an option for "Delete the PST file" (which is currently not checked), but doesn't a client-driven migration delete the PST anyway? I did notice that it will put the PST in read only mode.