cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Driven PST migration

Mambal
Level 4

Could you please help me with that?

I want to test client driven PST migration. PST file attached to my Outlook profile and located to local HD.

I have Outlook Adds On, created PST migration Task and enable my mailbox for PST migration. Restart Outlook and received message saying that PST migration will start.

BUT nothing happened . Do not see any PST folder archived.

What can it be?

Thank you very much

12 REPLIES 12

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner

Mambal,

Increase the client logging to 3 (minimum tracing) hold CTRL+SHIFT an d rt-clk any EV toolbar icon

Then check the newest %temp%\ev_client_log_<datetimestamp>.log file.  It should show the Client side PST migration process. 

-Joe

Mambal
Level 4

Thank you, Joe!

PSt file which was on local HD archived. I added second PST which os on network to profile and assume that it has to be archived as well because Desktop policy setup to PST import work check interval 60 min.

I am waiting for more than 2 hours but PST still not archived. Do I have to disable and enable client driven migration or just to wait?

Thank you

Mambal
Level 4

I found another interesting entries in log

PST on network share was foud but next message is

26/02/2009 20:06:16.488[3648]: PSTMIG: None of the PSTs in the current MAPI profile are ready for migration
26/02/2009 20:06:16.488[3648]: PSTMIG: No PSTs in server list are ready for client-side migration
26/02/2009 20:06:16.489[3648]: PSTMIG: PST Importer sleeping for 60 minutes (there is no work to do)

I am sure that logon account VSA has Modify right on this share.

Any suggestion please?

Thank you

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner

Mambal,

The no PSTs are ready for migration could be a server side problem.  Check the permissions on the PST Holding area share.  The VSA needs change\rw permissions.  VSA also needs RW to the PSTTemp (local) directory.  Check server side logs after restarting the PST Migrator service.

To test the rights, Logon as the VSA connect to the share (even if it is local use the \\server\share path) and try to create a file.

Tech Note:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293453.htm

-Joe

Faxson
Level 5

I found that the client will not migrate any PST files that are on network drives.  It just does not seem to do it even if it is in the users profile.  I'm not sure if there is a way around this for client driven migrations.  you might have to move to server side or scripted for these types.

Ben

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner

Ben,

The best procedure to migrate PSTs on a network share is using server side or EVPM at night.  The mailbox policy should mark the PST to indentify ownership and then the server side migration should read the marking to determine the proper owner.  To test the markings use the manual import wizard in the admin console to manually import a user pst. (note:PST cannot be in use during server side migration).

Beside client-side migration, even when it works, for network based PSTs is generally a bad idea.  There are iffy support issues from both Microsoft and Symantec for networked PSTs.

-Joe

Faxson
Level 5

Thanks Joe. 

Yes, I'm aware of these issues.  We are doing a first pass of client side to get as meany as possible.  We will then go back and do a second pass using server side.  We have developed a wrapper service for EVPM that we can use to do this.  But it's going to take a very long time to get through the client side migrations.

Ben

Mambal
Level 4

Thank you Joe!

Same as Faxson we try to use client driven migration as long as we can and move to server one. Its only couple users on pilot now.

Once again thank you very much for help

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner

Gents,

Have you been to my EV class?  That's exactly what I taught. :)  Use client side to get as many as possible.  It is the least unobstrusive to the users but it comes at the cost of being comparably slow to server side or evpm.

Mambal,

In another thread we were discussing speed of server side and high-end seems to be ~3GB (gigabytes) per hour.  Average about 2GB/hour. I have not done a client side with EV 8 outside of my lab but I'm guessing client mirgation will be ~500MB/hour/EV Server tops.

Try to build some throughput numbers so you can have a rough idea how long it will take to migrate production.

-Joe

Mambal
Level 4

Thank you, Joe!

My plan to test all possible scenarious for PST migration ( We have about 4 TB PST data on our network)

Time is not issue here, but it issue for me do not stack with PST migration for whole year.

I tried to use manual PST migration wizard to test PST migration from network, but PST attached to my Outlook profile.

This is an issue what we have here that users have multiple PST file on network and they attached to users profiles all the time. For begining it was plan Mark PST and add users as client driven PST migration, but as per your responce there is issue when PST on Network share ( Netapp in our case) and it does not work for me.All permissions are in place for VSA(Full right on users shares, PST holding area and Temp folder). Checked registry and last PST Scan is today, but PST file still in Personal folder not Archived.

Thank you

Mnereng
Level 4

Mambal,

Have you found a solution to this issue?  I'm seen a similar problem with PSTs on a Netapp share.  Specifically, EV is converting the UNC path incorrectly.  The path from the users end is:

U:\Email\2007.pst

And (according to the client log) EV is converting it to:

\\CLE1SV01\C$\Homes\<username>\Email\2007.pst

The issue is that the second path does not exist.  Has anyone seen this before?  The correct converted path should have been:

\\CLE1SV01\Homes$\<username>\Email\2007.pst

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Are you sure that it is not the "AutoHome" feature? \\CLE1SV01\$ ? Because then it is a bug: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/314374.htm Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.