Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close NTFS Vault store partition and then enable EV Collection

ia01
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

We have just closed an active NTFS vault store partition and created a new one, can we enable EV collection on that closed partition? Is there any impact on anything if we enable collection, in terms of backup, restore, retrieve items ... etc ... 

Is there any advantage of enabling collections on closed partition?

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ev007.

Opinions differ. I am in favor of using collections, but only for items older than 1 year. In addition, I also believe this should be used when moving the cab-files to 3rd line storage.

You need to keep in mind that a closed partition is in theory a static partition. No new data will be added. This means that if you have a succesfull backup of that partition, it is assumed ok to make a full once a week.

The advantage for backup is that you get bigger files (and less smaller ones) which probably speeds up backup. The disadvantage is that if users want an item which is in a cabfile, the cabfile needs to be extracted. also, if you run expiry on the store, this means that you have cabfiles with 'obsolete' files in them. EV will unpack and repack (uncab/cab) cab-files if they have (I believe) 15% valid dvsxx files. (ie when 85% of files in a cabfile are set to be deleted, EV will unpack that cabfile, delete the 85%, then waits to make a new cabfile with 100% valid files). I have been in environents where this is used, and have had no complaints with users about slow retrieving.

There is pro and cons. Check this article from JW3 on collections: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-collections-and-sparse-collections-work

That is a good one.

And to answer your question, yes you can enable collections on a closed partition :)

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ev007.

Opinions differ. I am in favor of using collections, but only for items older than 1 year. In addition, I also believe this should be used when moving the cab-files to 3rd line storage.

You need to keep in mind that a closed partition is in theory a static partition. No new data will be added. This means that if you have a succesfull backup of that partition, it is assumed ok to make a full once a week.

The advantage for backup is that you get bigger files (and less smaller ones) which probably speeds up backup. The disadvantage is that if users want an item which is in a cabfile, the cabfile needs to be extracted. also, if you run expiry on the store, this means that you have cabfiles with 'obsolete' files in them. EV will unpack and repack (uncab/cab) cab-files if they have (I believe) 15% valid dvsxx files. (ie when 85% of files in a cabfile are set to be deleted, EV will unpack that cabfile, delete the 85%, then waits to make a new cabfile with 100% valid files). I have been in environents where this is used, and have had no complaints with users about slow retrieving.

There is pro and cons. Check this article from JW3 on collections: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-collections-and-sparse-collections-work

That is a good one.

And to answer your question, yes you can enable collections on a closed partition :)

Regards. Gertjan