Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coexisting EV 10 and EV 12

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi, 

We are planning to upgrade EV 10 to EV 12. I know in one directory database we cannot run 2 versions of EV. But, how about create 2 directory in one active directory? Is it possible 1 exchange server archived by 2 EV server? I ask this because The Management prefer Exchange coexist Migration methode-like.

Regards,

Iqbal

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Iqbal,

Assuming you are referring to the native EV move archive tool. The amount of time really depends on the infrastructure. Have a look at this article for more information about this built-in feature: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129236

If this doesn't satisfy your requirements, you may want to look at 3rd party migration tools from TransVault, Globanet or Quatro-tech.

Still, I would not recommend creating a new EV environment unless you have strong limitations or business requirements. 

--Virgil

View solution in original post

I second Virgil's recommendation that you don't make a new environment. You say The Management like Exchange's mixed mode coexistence, but you need to make them understand that what you've proposed with EV is not like that. Exchange can have multiple versions running in one Organization, but EV needs two totally separate Directories that know nothing about each other. This means twice as many EnterpriseVaultDirectory, EVMonitoring, and EVAudit databases to maintain; it means if you want to find an item, there are two separate places you have to look. There are use cases that make this EV setup worthwhile, but smoothing over a relatively tame upgrade (just two major versions) isn't really one of them, in my opinion.

All that said, if you do elect to go for this anyway, then: provisioning, provisioning, provisioning. Make sure the two systems are never touching the same mailboxes or they will overwrite each other's hidden messages and get in a fight.

--Chris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VirgilDobos

Hi Iqbal,

While this is technically possible, it is not recommended as this can lead to complications if you are targeting the same mailboxes with two isolated EV environments.

--Virgil

GertjanA

Adding to Virgil's remark, it can indeed be done, but make sure to seperate out the databases (use a different instance), and the main thing is to have an absolutely error proof provisioning of users. A mailbox which is archived via the EV12 should not be archived from the EV10 (and v.v.)

If they want coexistence, I would install EV12, archive only new users (by disabling provisioning in EV10) (run in report mode). and then use the Migrate Archives tool to migrate the necessary archives from 10 to 12. (or, get a 3rd party tool to do the migration).

The easiest (and less complicated) solution would be to do the inplace upgrade from 10 to 11 to 12.

Regards. Gertjan

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Hi, 

but make sure to seperate out the databases : so user client EV 10 and user client EV 12 have their own Mailbox Database

I would install EV12, archive only new users : How to migrate current user ?

Migrate Archives tool to migrate the necessary archives from 10 to 12 : Any idea how long it takes to migrate 5TB+ EV Vault store

VirgilDobos

Hi Iqbal,

Assuming you are referring to the native EV move archive tool. The amount of time really depends on the infrastructure. Have a look at this article for more information about this built-in feature: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129236

If this doesn't satisfy your requirements, you may want to look at 3rd party migration tools from TransVault, Globanet or Quatro-tech.

Still, I would not recommend creating a new EV environment unless you have strong limitations or business requirements. 

--Virgil

I second Virgil's recommendation that you don't make a new environment. You say The Management like Exchange's mixed mode coexistence, but you need to make them understand that what you've proposed with EV is not like that. Exchange can have multiple versions running in one Organization, but EV needs two totally separate Directories that know nothing about each other. This means twice as many EnterpriseVaultDirectory, EVMonitoring, and EVAudit databases to maintain; it means if you want to find an item, there are two separate places you have to look. There are use cases that make this EV setup worthwhile, but smoothing over a relatively tame upgrade (just two major versions) isn't really one of them, in my opinion.

All that said, if you do elect to go for this anyway, then: provisioning, provisioning, provisioning. Make sure the two systems are never touching the same mailboxes or they will overwrite each other's hidden messages and get in a fight.

--Chris

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Hi Virgil and Chris,

Thanks for the replies. I will proceed to propose Exchange mixed mode coexistence and all the long list of requirements and tasks. And also promote this inplace "relatively tame" upgrade. From then i will wait what their decision. 

Regards,

Iqbal