Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections - Recommended settings?

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Hi All,

We have enabled collections for our EV for our File Server as we don't want 1000's of little files that take forever to back up.
We currently have the following settings implemented for Collections on our Vault Store:
-Daily File Collection times 10.00 through 16.00
-Max Collection file size: 90MB
-Collect files older than: 10 Days

We wanted to reduce the "Collect files older than" value to 5 days. What impact (if any) would this have?
Are the other settings recommended?

In addition we want to back up the Vault Store (with BE11d) during the day. Are there any implications for doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Gilly
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hiya Gary,

That's why partitions are used :) In larger organizations, take the bank I am working at now, we don't use partitions however we create a new partition every quarter, that way we only need to backup up to 500GB partitions at a time. There is no need to backup a closed partition once its closed and backed up successfully.

For me, and quite a few others there are more cons than pros in using cabs in this day and age, I can understand using it pre partitions. This is just my opinion, however do a search and you will find some interesting topics i have covered a couple of time on just this subject. However, the outcome on the other threads, all come down to agreement with me, collections are nice, but there are better ways in doing it as index rebuilds and everything else with collections are a nightmare.

--wayne

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

dfwood
Level 4
Backing up the database during the daytime will stop the collections working as it stops EV from being updated. However retrievals should work fine.

I've setup collections with the same setting as yours but my Max Collection File Size is 25MB.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Simple,

Don't use it :) Use the search I have covered pros and cons many times before..

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Thanks DFwood.

@ Wayne.
Interestingly we are pushing EV here in Ireland because of the advantages of backing up the CAB's as opposed to backing up the small files.

There is another archiving product in the Irish Market but it has no "collection" facility (at present) and it's near impossible to back the files up!

Thanks for the info

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hiya Gary,

That's why partitions are used :) In larger organizations, take the bank I am working at now, we don't use partitions however we create a new partition every quarter, that way we only need to backup up to 500GB partitions at a time. There is no need to backup a closed partition once its closed and backed up successfully.

For me, and quite a few others there are more cons than pros in using cabs in this day and age, I can understand using it pre partitions. This is just my opinion, however do a search and you will find some interesting topics i have covered a couple of time on just this subject. However, the outcome on the other threads, all come down to agreement with me, collections are nice, but there are better ways in doing it as index rebuilds and everything else with collections are a nightmare.

--wayne

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 I agree with Wayne,

When storing on a CIFS partition collection are not always the solution. Collections only really come into play when storing on a Centera