Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections and Journal partitions

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I'm not sure if it was something I read, or was advised on a support call in the past, but is there some recommendation that collections should NOT be enabled on journal partitions?

I've had a skim through various documents I have, googled and searched through here, but not seeing anything that advises one way or the other so far.

Asking here just in case anyone knows off the top of their head, or maybe I've got my wires crossed, and theres no such recommendation!

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Francis,

I really don't see a reason to not enable collections with journal archiving since it would speed up the backup process. However, if you are using an EMC storage, EV would add an extra steps since it would store the savesets in the staging area before sending the collections to the EMC storage. If you are running CA/DA searches against the journal archives, with collections enabled, EV would need to extract the savesets from the CABs to ARCHDVS* files and that would take an extra space from the partitions. If you have a fast storage with enough space, it shouldn't be an issue. I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Francis,

I really don't see a reason to not enable collections with journal archiving since it would speed up the backup process. However, if you are using an EMC storage, EV would add an extra steps since it would store the savesets in the staging area before sending the collections to the EMC storage. If you are running CA/DA searches against the journal archives, with collections enabled, EV would need to extract the savesets from the CABs to ARCHDVS* files and that would take an extra space from the partitions. If you have a fast storage with enough space, it shouldn't be an issue. I hope this helps.

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Gabe

It's just on standard SAN storage.

The journal also rarely gets searched and performance wouldn't be a big concern.

The backups would see the biggest benefit from enabling collections, so it makes sense for me to enable them then.

Thanks again

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Glad to help !!