cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely exporting emails from the archived exchange server mailbox

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi People,

Does exporting the archived mailbox from Enterprise Vaults includes all email items in the existing Exchange Server 2007 mailbox as well ?

or just the archived items only ?

I need to export bulk mailboxes into PST as my company financial department has been bought by the larger company and I need to export all of the people email objects.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello John,

Let's start from the beginning. I have been in the same excercise a few times now.

It depends on the number of mailboxes really.

Possibility 1 -

Few users (let's say less than 100). Disable them from archiving. Put their mailboxes in 1 store on the Exchange Server. Restore all items from the archive back to the mailbox. (make sure store has enough space). Export mailbox to PST (remove shortcuts from mailbox), delete mailbox. This gives you 1 PST

Possibility 2 -

Disable users from archiving. Export archives to PST (PST1). Export mailboxes to PST (PST2) (remove shortcuts). There is no possibility to combine the exports into 1 PST.

Possibility 3 -

Use 3rd part tool (TransVault) to export archives to PST. Not sure if you can also export mailboxes to PST using TV. This is an option that should be considered if you have many mailboxes to process.

We've been moving mailboxes to other environments using Quest, TransVault, Exchange native Move Mailbox, and PST export/import. Using a 3rd party migration tool has preference (despite costs) because most tools have good reporting and retrying failed items possibilities. And, for Exchange move, you do need a trust one way or the other.

Does this help?

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

GertjanA

Hello John,

Exporting archive is only archive. You will have to use Exchange tool to export the mailboxes themselves.

Be advised that it might be wise to use EV to remove the shortcuts from the archived mailboxes. Create seperate provisioning group, set users to be migrated in this group, and set mailboxpolicy to remove shortcuts older than 1 day.

This way, the exported mailboxes do not contain EV shortcuts, and then there will be no issue in the new environment for these mailboxes (ie users clikcing shortcuts, not working)

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

Gertjan, many thanks for the advice so in this case by following your guidance, I can just export from Enterprise Vault 8 all in one go rather than have to export from Exchange Server and then Export again from EV ?

"set users to be migrated in this group" does this means that if the users must still exist in the AD ?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The only way you could really do it would be through a third party migration utility
so for instance in TransVault you can export archives and exchange mailboxes to PST files
Other third party utilities most likely will be able to do that also

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks for the reply Jesus,

So in this case if I use the third party application then it can be exported all in one go as one PST per user.

Because what I think is that if I have to provision the archived mailbox again in EV, that means the EV partition will grow bigger as it copies everything from Exchange Server into the EV server.

cmiw ?

GertjanA

Hello John,

Let's start from the beginning. I have been in the same excercise a few times now.

It depends on the number of mailboxes really.

Possibility 1 -

Few users (let's say less than 100). Disable them from archiving. Put their mailboxes in 1 store on the Exchange Server. Restore all items from the archive back to the mailbox. (make sure store has enough space). Export mailbox to PST (remove shortcuts from mailbox), delete mailbox. This gives you 1 PST

Possibility 2 -

Disable users from archiving. Export archives to PST (PST1). Export mailboxes to PST (PST2) (remove shortcuts). There is no possibility to combine the exports into 1 PST.

Possibility 3 -

Use 3rd part tool (TransVault) to export archives to PST. Not sure if you can also export mailboxes to PST using TV. This is an option that should be considered if you have many mailboxes to process.

We've been moving mailboxes to other environments using Quest, TransVault, Exchange native Move Mailbox, and PST export/import. Using a 3rd party migration tool has preference (despite costs) because most tools have good reporting and retrying failed items possibilities. And, for Exchange move, you do need a trust one way or the other.

Does this help?

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

Gertjan,

Wow that's an eye opener, yeah you finally got me thinking that I can move all of the users that I want to export into the 0Day archive so that the mailbox are all in the EV, and then from EV I can just export them, but obviously it will take some time over the weekend to do the archving and then doing the export.

The only problem with the approach above is that the Enterprise Vault will be archiving all of the items into the VaultStore.

GertjanA

Hi John,

I do not consider that a 'problem'. Remember that the SIS and compression of Enterprise Vault will result in lesser Exchange Storage, and MUCH better storage use in EV.

If you go the way of 0-day archiving, think about the Deleted ITems folder, that is NOT archived by default (you can set that in the advanced properties of the policy). Als check on the Export to PSt option what fields you can use to export. When I did this excercise, I made a list of users to be exported, and set the State Field in AD to a certain value (like EXPORTME). In the export to PST wizard, you can then look for that value, and export batches (or all in 1 go).

If you think your question is resolved, can you mark one as solution?

Thanks, and enjoy the ride :)

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

Cool, many thanks Gertjan for your assistance !

and Jesus as well.

johnfrankel
Level 2

First you try some methods like Migrate Exchange to Exchange, Export or Import mailboxes to PST

Export or Import mailboxes to PST files the following requirements must be Fullfil:

• outlook installed ( mapi32.dll )
  • exchange management tools installed.
  • outlook must be installed on the client machine.

Running cmd-let to export a mailbox to a PST file:

Export-Mailbox –Identity <mailboxUser> -PSTFolderPath <pathToSavePST>

Import-Mailbox -Identity <mailboxUser> -PSTFolderPath <PSTFileLocation>

For more information about Export and Import mailboxes to PST files visit : http://exchangeserver.tumblr.com/post/40168523995/how-to-migrate-edb-to-pst-with-the-help-of-exmerge

Hope that helps,

johnfrankel
Level 2

First, you try to some menual methods like Migrate Exchange to Exchange, Export and Import mailboxes to PST files and some other methods.

• Outlook installed ( mapi32.dll )
  • Exchange management tools installed.
  • Running the task must be an Exchange Organization Admin

Run following cmd-let :

To export the contents of your Exchange mailbox into a .pst file

Export-Mailbox –Identity <mailboxUser> -PSTFolderPath <pathToSavePST>

To importing mailbox contents from a PST file

Import-Mailbox -Identity <mailboxUser> -PSTFolderPath <PSTFileLocation>

For more information about Export and Import mailboxes to outlook : http://exchangeserver.tumblr.com/post/40168523995/how-to-migrate-edb-to-pst-with-the-help-of-exmerge

I hope that helps.

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks John for the reply,

I have done this successfully over the weekend, by exporting from Exchange and then the second row exporting the archived items, therefore after the Exchange PST has been exported, then the EV PST is then reimported to overwrite the shortcuts / archived items.

Not ideal but yes this is the only way to do at the moment.