cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compressed Files - Are they converted and indexed?

tmurray1
Level 5

Hello.  Thinking about compressed (.zip, .tar, .7z, .RAR) files as an email attachment or archived as part of a FSA run.  Are compressed files unzipped converted and indexed?  These particular file types are not listed in the ExcludedFileTypesFromConversion registry key.

Regards,

Tammy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Enterprise Vault Converters leverages Oracle Outside-In technologies in order to convert messages, files and attachments to text and html formats for indexing purposes. according to the documentation i pulled up for Oracle Outside-In:

7z (BZIP2 and split archives not supported)
7z Self Extracting exe (BZIP2 and split archives not supported)
LZA Self Extracting Compress
LZH Compress
Microsoft Office Binder - 95 – 97
Microsoft Cabinet (CAB)
RAR - 1.5, 2.0, 2.9
Self-extracting .exe
UNIX Compress
UNIX GZip
UNIX tar
Uuencode
Zip - PKZip
Zip - WinZip

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB

Enterprise Vault Converters leverages Oracle Outside-In technologies in order to convert messages, files and attachments to text and html formats for indexing purposes. according to the documentation i pulled up for Oracle Outside-In:

7z (BZIP2 and split archives not supported)
7z Self Extracting exe (BZIP2 and split archives not supported)
LZA Self Extracting Compress
LZH Compress
Microsoft Office Binder - 95 – 97
Microsoft Cabinet (CAB)
RAR - 1.5, 2.0, 2.9
Self-extracting .exe
UNIX Compress
UNIX GZip
UNIX tar
Uuencode
Zip - PKZip
Zip - WinZip

tmurray1
Level 5

Thank you for responding.  The compressed files I asked about are supported by Oracles's Outside-In technology (8.4.0 as I am running EV 10.0.4 CHF3).  For journal archiving I receive many converter warnings.  When it is a compressed file the reason is usually 'The converted content is too large to process'. I would think that archive or compressed file would be relatively large.  Seems this is working as designed.

Regards,

Tammy

AndrewB

glad i could help. can you mark the solution so others with the same question know which post helped you find the answer?