cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure CIFS using EMC Data Domain for Enterprise Vault 9.0.2

tmpbjo
Level 3

We are currently running EV 9.0.2 on a windows 2008 r2 failover cluster .
Our Current vault stores/partitions are located on a SAN ( NTFS file system) and are configured as mount points on the Windows 2008 r2 failover cluster.
We recently purchased Data Domain ( DD640) storage - Replicated to another DD640  ( for de-dupe support) and wanted to know how to re-configure our partitions to point to the new data domain storage which uses CIFS shares.
I read some Data domain documents and it points to use migration and collections in EV to achieve this.. Do we need any additional licences to use the migration and collections in EV??.
Also wanted to know know how we should deal with EV backups once we move to the Data Domain storage model..
Is it possible to mount a CIFS share on a Windows 2008 r2 failover cluster??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you dont need any additional license nor do you necessarily need to enable secondary migration or collections. you shouldn't need to mount the share. EV stores the UNC path to your vault store partition and does not need "access" to it via a mounted drive like do you for SAN.

as for bakups, it's up to you. some argue that replicated data is sufficient for their needs (in which case you have it covered) otherwise netbackup has an EV agent, or whatever enterprise backup solution you own. my advice to you is to keep your vault store partitions at a manageable size and roll them over regularly so that you only have to backup the open partition on a regular basis and the closed partitions can be backed up far less frequently.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you dont need any additional license nor do you necessarily need to enable secondary migration or collections. you shouldn't need to mount the share. EV stores the UNC path to your vault store partition and does not need "access" to it via a mounted drive like do you for SAN.

as for bakups, it's up to you. some argue that replicated data is sufficient for their needs (in which case you have it covered) otherwise netbackup has an EV agent, or whatever enterprise backup solution you own. my advice to you is to keep your vault store partitions at a manageable size and roll them over regularly so that you only have to backup the open partition on a regular basis and the closed partitions can be backed up far less frequently.

tmpbjo
Level 3

Thx Andy for your valuable inputs..

However how do I migrate my existing Vault store data from the current partitions into the new Data Domain.

Since the CIFS path is stored in the Vault Partitions.. How does it behave in an EV cluster scenario ( file lock etc..)

Pls find the attached Symantec Data Domain integration guide which mentions use of migrations and collections.

RRE
Level 6

Hello

Please refer the following articles for migration

How to move a Vault Store and Vault Store partition to a different Enterprise Vault (EV) server in the SAME site

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH47388

How to move a Vault Store partition or Vault Store on the same Enterprise Vault server from one location to another

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35742

Regards

RRE