Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring two EV Sites for same mailboxes

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Hello

I have been working on migrating one of database center along with upgrades from Enterprise vault 9.0.1/Windows 2003/Exchange 2003/SQL 2005 to Enterprise vault 9.0.1/Windows 2008 R2/Exchange 2010/SQL 2008 R2

Now typical migrations/upgrades include move the SQl vault store/indexes and storage device and you're done.

However, in my case customer asked for a fancy stuff. They want to create a completely new Enterprise vault site on destination data center with new vault store and SQL and what not BUT once users are migrated from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010, they should be able to access old items as well which are in source Enterprise vault site.

And I am guessing, they might start decomm the source datacenter in future, so those items should also be present after the decomission takes place.

I am trying to work my brain wheels to see if by any chance it is feasible - (as complicated the setup is but if there is any chance?) - If someone has any ideas on if this setup is configurable and if yes, what should i start looking in first?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So what I would do if i was you

1. In SiteA, disable UserA
2. Move UserA from the old Exchange servers to the new Exchange Servers
3. In SiteB, Provision and then Enable UserA who is now on Exchange 2010
4. Configure the Desktop policy for the Web Application URL

In the Desktop Policy go to the Advanced tab and under Outlook scroll all the way to the bottom

Web Application URL (Exchange Outlook setting)

Description

Specifies the address of the Web Access application in one or more different vault sites. This setting enables shortcuts from the specified vault sites to work.

For example, you need to use this setting in the following cases:

• When you want users to be able to access archived items from mailbox shortcuts in other vault sites

• When Exchange Public Folder tasks from more than one vault site process a public folder hierarchy

Supported values

• The URLs of Web Access applications in other vault sites. Enter one or more addresses in the following format:

[site1_dns_alias]=URL;[site2_dns_alias]=URL

where:

• site1_dns_alias and site2_dns_alias are the DNS aliases of other vault sites.

• URL is the address of the Web Access application in the vault site.

If you specify multiple addresses, separate them with semicolons (;). The overall length of the string cannot exceed 255 characters.

For example:

[site1.server.com]=http://site1.server.com/
    EnterpriseVault;[site2...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So what I would do if i was you

1. In SiteA, disable UserA
2. Move UserA from the old Exchange servers to the new Exchange Servers
3. In SiteB, Provision and then Enable UserA who is now on Exchange 2010
4. Configure the Desktop policy for the Web Application URL

In the Desktop Policy go to the Advanced tab and under Outlook scroll all the way to the bottom

Web Application URL (Exchange Outlook setting)

Description

Specifies the address of the Web Access application in one or more different vault sites. This setting enables shortcuts from the specified vault sites to work.

For example, you need to use this setting in the following cases:

• When you want users to be able to access archived items from mailbox shortcuts in other vault sites

• When Exchange Public Folder tasks from more than one vault site process a public folder hierarchy

Supported values

• The URLs of Web Access applications in other vault sites. Enter one or more addresses in the following format:

[site1_dns_alias]=URL;[site2_dns_alias]=URL

where:

• site1_dns_alias and site2_dns_alias are the DNS aliases of other vault sites.

• URL is the address of the Web Access application in the vault site.

If you specify multiple addresses, separate them with semicolons (;). The overall length of the string cannot exceed 255 characters.

For example:

[site1.server.com]=http://site1.server.com/
    EnterpriseVault;[site2...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am currently in the middle of doing the same thing.  WIll be doing what JW2 has said, with a Step 5, migrate the data from the old EV server to the new one as we don't want to keep the old hardware in place.  We are going to use a third party migrator to help with this as EV's Move Archive is not cut out for it.

Also, you may want to look at setting a more aggressive archive policy before moving the users across - will save you a heap of time.

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Thanks a lot guys for so quick response & proper steps to configure it. Really appreciate it :)