cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidating many almost empty vault stores

-S-
Level 3

Question.

we have had EV ofr about 4 years, we are on Version 9, and I now have seven closed vault stores and the current open one.

Within the closed vault stores I am wasting over two Tera-Bytes of disk space because expiriy has taken out just about everything but due to Legal Holds the remaining data will be needed for a long time. We are running DA as well.

Is there a way to take the data from lets just say 4 of the vaults and migrate it to the 5th vault and free up the others to be reused or deleted?

The currecnt version is 9.0.3.1164

The currecnt verssion was a fresh install on server 2008R2 with version 9.01

We started using EV with version 7.5 or maybe 8 I'd have to do some digging if that makes a difference. 

THank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can move those closed partitions to one volume.  Follow the steps here:

How to move a Vault Store partition or Vault Store on the same Enterprise Vault server from one location to another.

Article: TECH35742  |  Created: 2004-01-25  |  Updated: 2012-06-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35742

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling

You can move those closed partitions to one volume.  Follow the steps here:

How to move a Vault Store partition or Vault Store on the same Enterprise Vault server from one location to another.

Article: TECH35742  |  Created: 2004-01-25  |  Updated: 2012-06-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35742

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

One quick question... If expiry has taken out 'lots' of the data... what is it exactly that is taking up the 'few terabytes' ?

Working for cloudficient.com

TonySterling

He said that Legal Holds are in place, so I would assume that is part of it.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm yeah.. but ..  if there is 2-3 Tb of data (in legal hold) across half a dozen vault stores, after consolidation there will still be 2-3 Tb of data...  what is it saving by performing the consolidation?  (or maybe it's consultants hourly rates, eh???? hehe)

-S-
Level 3

Rob,

Sorry I was not 100% clear.

I have a few TB of wasted FREE space :)  my Vaults Stores are 400GB each x6 and 5 of them have 70GB used because expiriy has purged the rest.

I will try Mr Sterlings soultion aboe and see how it goes! I appreciate the help I have pokes and googled and did not find that.

I'll report back and mark it as the answer if it goes well and ask another question if I need to.

- S

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Ah okay - partition data, gotya.

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Rather than consolidating them, you could simply open them again when your latest partition is full (you mentioned in your question that you possibly wanted to re-use them - I am assuming you mean for EV)

There are arguments for and against doing this though, and personally I would be consolidating the old ones on to one disk as Tony suggested.

Regards,

Jeff

-S-
Level 3

Jeff,

that is an interisting idea, but this thing is like a china doll, fragile, but yet grumpy :)

I agree I'll do the consolidation. It will have to wait for our next maintenca window so it will be about 3-4 weeks but I'll report back on oncce done!

Thank you, - S