cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacts Archiving Ring Tone Issue

Bruce_A__Bosco
Level 4
We recently started archiving contacts. In an attempt to make it transparent to the users we decided not to delete the original item after archiving and not to shortcut.

At this point we have only implemented this in production for 20 users. 1 user is reporting his custom ring tones on his cell phone keep getting erased. It appears after nightly archiving runs the custom ring tones are removed. I know he is using Active Sync. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

3 REPLIES 3

Bruce_A__Bosco
Level 4
I just wanted to update this post since there is very little info about this issue. Any custom attributes set on cell phones related to Contacts (e.g. ring tones, speed dials, voice dials) are removed when a contact is archived.  It is essentially related to the fact that these are not stored in Exchange but on the cell phone.   When contacts are archived, the cell phone sync process believes the old contact has been deleted and an identical new one created.  The only known fix to this issue is for the end user to disable synchronization of contacts to their cell phone.

Are any other companies archiving contacts? If so has this issue come up?

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Bruce

What is your requirement of having contacts archived?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

MarkOlsen
Level 4
All:

I work with Bruce as one of the overall EV sponsors.  Basically, we feel it is essential that we archive Contacts, Tasks, Notes and Calendar Items as well because we need to be able to search those items and put them on legal hold.  Subpoenas typically do not provide exclusions for this type of content, so I guess I would turn the question to everyone: shouldn't you be archiving these for this very reason?

Regards ... Mark