cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy archived file without recalling the original

cbutland
Level 2

EV 8.0.5 on 32bit 2003 server 

I have File System archiving in place on a server.  I have configured pass through-recall on this server and volume. services have been restarted where required. Recommeded registry settings applied as well.

I need to COPY the contents of this volume to a new destination without rehydrating the placeholders. 

When I try to copy the files to a different server (with a DOS copy command or ROBOCOPY for example) the file is recalled to the source archived volume. I don't have enough room to recall all of the files. I'm guessing that the OS must need write access to the source file for some reason, causing the recall??

FSAUtility does have a restore feature ( -t....-s...-d and so on) which I'm not getting to work at all and am wondering if this is even a good way to copy data.

I just need a good way to copy files that have been archived without recalling them.

I hope I have explained this well enough and provided enough information.

Best Regards and Thanks in advance if anyone has some insight on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i have a feeling this might be more like what you're trying to do:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37838

example:

FSAUtility -t -s \\oldserver\folder -d \\newserver\folder

you might want to run it in report more ( -r ) first.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think this is the process you want:

Migrating placeholders

Article: HOWTO37836  |  Created: 2010-12-24  |  Updated: 2011-12-19  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37836

AndrewB

i have a feeling this might be more like what you're trying to do:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37838

example:

FSAUtility -t -s \\oldserver\folder -d \\newserver\folder

you might want to run it in report more ( -r ) first.

TonySterling

That TN is for Restoring, so I think that isn't going to help him.  He says the following which makes me think he simply wants to move the placeholders without recalling.

"I need to COPY the contents of this volume to a new destination without rehydrating the placeholders. "

"I don't have enough room to recall all of the files. "

"I just need a good way to copy files that have been archived without recalling them."

AndrewB

i guess the word "contents" is what led me in the other direction

cbutland
Level 2

Thanks everyone!  I need to leave the placeholders where they are and funtioning as they are, I just need to copy the rehydrated files to an additional destination.  I hope this clears it up a bit.  I'm going to review some of the documents you guys linked here.

Thanks again

TonySterling

Ok, if you don't want to move the placeholders then Andrew's technote is going to be a better fit.  blush