cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy controls-folders Exchange (OWA related)

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello all,

We have an issue installing OWA extentions (ECH2003SP1 + KB943068,EV2007SP2,W2003SP2, using hotfix 300433 from Symantec to install the specific extentions (6.5.7653.21))

We get an error stating that the controlfolders are not the originals and install fails (no controls copied by EV folder is created). In a demo (VM) environment, installing the extentions worked perfectly.

Is it possible to copy the controls (and cab) folder from this VM-environment to the live-environment, and then rerun the install/configuration?
If yes, are these two folders sufficient, or should other folders be copied over also?

This is an FE/BE environment, the DEMO environment is the same.
Any hints highly appreciated!

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
hmmm. Checking IIS-logs showed that when an OWA user connected, the FE server tried to open EV from a folder 6.0 (exchweb/enterprise vault/6.0) As this 6.0 folder did not exist, no buttons/menuitems. I copied over the existing 7.5.xxxx.x folder, renamed it to 6.0, and voila, buttons and menuitems. The buttons (to store item in Vault, or retrieve item from Vault) work, the menutitems (Archive Explorer and Search Safe) do not. I believe this has to do with the prxycfg, but am still researching.
Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sym_se_support0
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
It would be best if you resolved the control files issues on the live FE/BE server by either re-applying the service pack or copying the files from a working Exchange server, like the one in your lab.  This way the OWA extensions install can complete.

That being said the short answer to your question is "yes".   You can copy just the modified control files from the lab and copy them to your production server.  Make positive that you are using the exact same control file version numbers (6.5.7653.21).  You cannot copy control files from different versions of Exchange service packs.

Make sure that you continue the installation of the extensions after the prompt saying that the control files could not be modified, this way the extension binaries and gif files are still installed.

Fix the control files in your live environment so the OWA extension install does not error and correctly modifies the control files or continue the OWA extension install and after the control files fail to modify then manually copy just the 7 or 9 modified control files from the lab environment to the live environment.

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
On your Exchange server, in \exchsrvr\exchweb\6.5.7653.21\ there should be a folder called "Controls-Originals copied by Enterprise Vault".  You can copy the files in this folder back to your \controls folder in the same directory.

You must also rename or delete the folder called "Controls-Orignals copied by Enterprise Vault" (you can append a .bak to the folder name if you want), because you will get an error message if this folder is in this directory.  I can't remember if it is the same or a different error message.

sym_se_support0
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

The previous poster said this:

On your Exchange server, in \exchsrvr\exchweb\6.5.7653.21\ there should be a folder called "Controls-Originals copied by Enterprise Vault".  You can copy the files in this folder back to your \controls folder in the same directory.

I just wanted to add that this directory structure is on the lab environment server.  Since the install failed to update the files on the live Exchange server this directory will not exist as it did not make backup copies since it did not update the files.

So you can continue with the install on the live server, the control files did not get modified, and then take the modified files from the lab server and copy / overwrite the files on the live server (make a copy of them first like EV did on the lab server).  Or just copy the entire /exchweb/6.5.76532.21/ directory from the lab to the live server.  The backup (controls originally copied by, will be there as well.

GertjanA
Hello all,

First, thank you for the responses. Situation we are now:
Live-environment:
Uninstalled extentions, removed EV from FE and BE server using add/remove programms.
Copied over the control folder (6.5.7653.21) (content is as BEFORE installing EV) from the TESTenvironment.
Used the specific for this control mentioned installfiles to re-install EV extentions.
Unfortunately, same error.
Installed extentions, then copied over control folders from test-environment as they are AFTER installing ev-extentions, but before configuration.
Ran configuration of the extentions. This runs without errors.

In OWA we now DO have the EV icons, but still do not have the menu-choice AE and Search Safe. No icons in toolbar either.

Did doublecheck settings in the policy, which are correct. Restarted Adminservice, and resynced mailboxes. No menuchoices.

We will open a case with support on this. As soon as I have further information/solution, will post again.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

GertjanA
hmmm. Checking IIS-logs showed that when an OWA user connected, the FE server tried to open EV from a folder 6.0 (exchweb/enterprise vault/6.0) As this 6.0 folder did not exist, no buttons/menuitems. I copied over the existing 7.5.xxxx.x folder, renamed it to 6.0, and voila, buttons and menuitems. The buttons (to store item in Vault, or retrieve item from Vault) work, the menutitems (Archive Explorer and Search Safe) do not. I believe this has to do with the prxycfg, but am still researching.
Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I'm not sure that proxycfg is the faulting part here.

This is how EV gets the Version string (this is where he get the "6.0" for /exchweb/enterprise vault/<version>):

var version = "";
var verUrl = g_sBase + ((g_sBase.charAt(g_sBase.length - 1) == "/") ? "" : "/") + "?cmd=EVSettings";
var oHTTP = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.xmlhttp");
oHTTP.open("GET", verUrl, false);
oHTTP.send();
if(oHTTP.status == 200)    version = oHTTP.getResponseHeader("EVVersion");

I think the command returns the wrong Version number...

I suggest that you log a case with Symantec for this...

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.