cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not read mailbox information from active directory

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

I wonder if anyone has experience of working with Enterprise Vault 10 with Exchange 2013 that uses DAG's

When trying to add an new exchange 2013 server target to Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 in Admin console I get the following;

Could not read mailbox information from Active Directory.

Ensure that the target Exchange Server hosts an active mailbox database.

Error: There is no such object on the server.

I have created a mail profile and can use Outlook to open the System Mailbox on Exchange 2013.

I have tried setting the global catalog against the EV site but this didn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Ravi,

You stated you can open the EV-system-mailbox on Ex2013. Is that mailbox on the server you want to add?

When using DAG's, you need to move the mbx database that has the EVSystem mbx to the server you want to add.

I believe the following should be done.

On the new Exchange 2013 server, verify there is an active mbx database. Verify the EVsystem mailbox is in that database. From the EV-server, try to open the mailbox using Outlook, and send a message to yourself. Reply to that message. Verify the reply arrives.

When ok, you should be able to define the server. If that still fails, you might want to first rerun the Deploymentscanner, include the new Exchange server. See if that reports all ok.

If ok, you might want to log a call to Symantec, but I believe it should work without issues.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA

Did you run the powershellscripts to grant the VSA the proper permissions?

Regards. Gertjan

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Yes,

SetEVThrottlingPolicy.ps1

SetEVExchangePermissions.ps1

Add-adpermission –identity –user –accessrights extendedright -ExtendedRights “send as”

Does it matter that the exchange server is part of a DAG?

GertjanA

Hello Ravi,

You stated you can open the EV-system-mailbox on Ex2013. Is that mailbox on the server you want to add?

When using DAG's, you need to move the mbx database that has the EVSystem mbx to the server you want to add.

I believe the following should be done.

On the new Exchange 2013 server, verify there is an active mbx database. Verify the EVsystem mailbox is in that database. From the EV-server, try to open the mailbox using Outlook, and send a message to yourself. Reply to that message. Verify the reply arrives.

When ok, you should be able to define the server. If that still fails, you might want to first rerun the Deploymentscanner, include the new Exchange server. See if that reports all ok.

If ok, you might want to log a call to Symantec, but I believe it should work without issues.

Regards. Gertjan

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Do we need a system mailbox created in every database ?My understanding is that we will have databases active on two different exchange servers with the passive copies available on the other server.

Eg. Mbx1 on exchsvr1

Mbx2 on exchsvr2

alloutofusernam
Level 2

Hello everybody

Trying to install exchange, on a seperate server, from my DC, I'm using a private network on VMware workstation, but exchange wont fully install as it cant find Active Directory. Is setting up on a private virtual network the problem, is this possible? I'm new to a Microsoft Administrator work, but need to know sql and exchange setup and config for the job, moving on from Cisco/Juniper, probably a silly Q an A for you guys but any help appreciated.

JD 

GertjanA

Hello Ravi,

You need a task for every Exchange server, which in turn means you need a systemmailbox for every task.

In you case, you need a systemmailbox in Mbx1 for task Archive-exchsrv1, and a systemmailbox in Mbx2 for task Archive-exchsrv2.

Once that is set up and configured, when you then failover (or a failover happens) Mbx1 to Exchsrv2, you run provisioning, you will see in the targetstab of the archiving task the databases targeted.

This means that after a failover occurrs, you need to run provisioning to make ev aware that a failover happened. This will assure fastest archiving.

Regards. Gertjan