cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Exchange Mailbox Archive from command line?

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

EDIT - Is it possible to create a new Exchange Mailbox archive from command line or programmatically?

I have 1384 PST files for users who left the company, there is no AD account or mailbox to work from using the normal 'enable mailbox' method to create the archive.

I tested using the 'Shared' archive type but the server driven PST tool will only allow me to assign an Exchange Mailbox archive type to the PST for processing.

Feels like I'm missing something obvious here..

13 REPLIES 13

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

So I'm guessing this is not possible based on the lack of replies.  : )

I'd prefer not to have to create 1,384 accounts/mailboxes just to add them to EV so these old PSTs can be ingested.

This customer has had EV for years but never fully deployed it to their users and their old way of handling staff that left was to dump the contents of the mailbox to a PST and then delete the mailbox and account.  :\

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Joseph,

I could not find anything related to this being possible. I understand that you have issues with getting PST's into shared archives. I have succesfully imported PST's in shared archives. 

Can you describe what issue you have when importing into a shared archive? 

I did the following: Create a shared archive in a vaultstore. On the EV server managing that Vault Store, copy the PST file to a folder. Set full permissions for the VSA on the PST file. Import PST to shared archive.

Regards. Gertjan

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

This is an EV 12.5.2 environment.

What tool are using to import the PST into a Shared Archive?

I have been trying to use the Server driven method with Locate, Collect, Migrator tasks. When I look at the properties of a 'located' PST it has the option to assign an archive but the only archive type shown are Exchange Mailbox archives.

Also I tried the PST Migration Wizard which allows you to select either an Exchange Mailbox archive or an Internet Archive. And I cannot create new archives of either type.

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

So I just looked again and must have missed it the first time I looked.

If I manually create a new archive under Shared Archives I 'can' select it when using the PST Migration Wizard. This is at least an option for getting these old PSTs into EV.  This is definitely the last line of defense because there is 1,384 PSTs to be migrated so server driven would be better I think for sure.

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

depending on your EV version you can also use Powershell to Import PST Files.

regards

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

It's EV version 12.5.2 

I have been looking at migrating the PSTs using PS with the Add-EvPstFile cmdlet.  However this method appears to require either an Exchange Mailbox archive or an Internet Archive to exist.  And so far I have not found any way to create a new exchange archive or internet archive manually.

I did try running Add-EvPSTFile using a Shared Archive since I can manually create those however the cmdlet fails with:

Add-EVPstFile : The specified archive is invalid.

My PS command looks like this:

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault> Add-EVPstFile -UNCPath \\fas8020a-c2-vfiler1.domain.com\offboarding_and_rete
ntion\ABykhovsky\Email\"John, Doe.pst" -Archive JDoe -ArchiveType "Exchange mailbox" -RetentionCategory
"Default Retention Category" -Priority High

GertjanA

Hello Jospeh,

I am not sure, and not able to test myself, but should you not define the shared archive?

Instead of -ArchiveType "Exchange mailbox" try -ArchiveType "Shared" (or perhaps Shared Archive not sure.)

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

The archivetype can only be internetmail or Exchange.

The easiest way I see is. 

• Create an archive (with AD Account)
  • Enable it (archive gets created)
  • Import PSTs (skripted)
  • throw away AD Account

but this seems to not be possible in your environment, as I understand it.

Prone2Typos

You could probably abuse these steps with re using a single AD account and creating a new archive each time I am betting. If the ton of AD accounts is the hold up.

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

@GertjanA - yes I tried the same command using -ArchiveType Shared Archive but only Exchange and Internet types are allowed.

@CConsult - re-creating 1,385 accounts is not desirable for sure...if I could somehow use a single account to create all the archives that would have potential. Seems the process would break when it attempts to create additional archives being that the name would be based off of a single AD user account.  Likely the AD account would need to be renamed and at that point you're just creating 1,385 accounts.

@Prone2Typos -  I'm not sure how that would work

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

I would create one archive named "disabled users"

then import the pst into subfolders of the root, named after the users.

You can even keep the ad account.

and whenever somone eaves you import it into this archive.

If somone rejoins you still have the option to recreate the archive if you export als data under the subfolder (of the user)

regards

Prone2Typos

THe above suggestion is his second great one IMHO. Give this guy a prize. I mean you could theoritically use an account with a mailbox. Enable them for archiving, creating a new archive, Disable them, Enable them again, createing a new archive, rinse and repeat.... right?

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

If were up to me I'd just dump them into a single archive with sub-folders like CConsult mentioned.

however the customer has decided the amount of effort/babysitting this would take for 1,385 PSTs/1.9TB is not worth it.

Honestly I'm surprised that it isn't possible to create archives through a script or cmd for instances just like this.